Chapter 9: Haven (from life is strange)

---

This was going to be a long ride home.

---

"A classified occasion?! That was your reason. And you got away with it too." Clay let out an exasperated sigh, more in disbelief then anything else.

"Yeah, they don't get paid enough to ask any more questions," George explained, matter-of-factly. "And to think I was so scared of leaving a month ago."

"I love the way you sound, George." Clay gushed. He didn't mean for it to come out. He'd just been thinking about it.

His voice sounded smooth. George sounded so sickly sweet, so fucking addicting, but he loved it. And the accent too. The harsh 't' sound or the no 't' at all. There's no in between.

Obviously, George hadn't heard anyone say that to him before and was unsure how to take it.

A confused and questioning look was thrown Clay's way, George's eyebrows raised.

Clay giggled a little at the brunettes expression and kept trying to explain how, 'he didn't mean that' or that 'wasn't what he meant'.

George stood tapping his foot until Clay finally calmed down and produced actual words instead of incoherent wheezes.

"I meant your accent. The way you pronounce your words. Sometimes even the words you use. Do you remember the first conversation we ever had?"

George nodded.

"I said you were eloquently spoken. And I was right, considering you're a Prince you have to be. So, my question is, what's your favourite word?"

"Fuck." There was little-to-no hesitation with his answer and even a little smirk after he'd said it. Clay laughed along but quickly quietened to ask his next question.

"Good choice. Now, which definition? Fuckkk, as in an expression of surprise, shock, anger? Or the-"

"Oh, haha, funny Clay. I guess you'll never know."

The brunette took off running and due to their nonstop walking, they were a minute out from the village. George was going to get their way faster then Dream and the blonde took that as competition.

The long grass slowed both of them as they turned into a field neighbouring the village. An effort to wade through the green sea was made, but George was too small and the amount of blades were too many.

Therefore, George was the first to fall, doing a roll and lying flat out on his back.

Clay slowed soon after, stopping himself before he stepped on the innocent boy beneath.

"Join me," George said, breathless. "It's comfier than it looks."

That was all it took for Dream to sink down into the depths of nature.

The boys lay there, chests heaving, eyes closed, fingers entwined. Giggles would occasionally erupt from either and the other would follow, but they did tend to slip into comfortable silences.

It's important to love someone that would sit in silence with you.

"Serendipity."

"Excuse me?" Clay laughed.

"It's my favourite word. Finding something good without looking for it."

"I see," Another silent moment followed Clay's understanding. Though it was broken by a low toned mutter of, "You're my serendipity, George."

The silence returned but George's smile spoke volumes.

If only Clay's mouth said what his eyes displayed so desperately. The way one look at George plastered an irreversible smile on his face. The way he'd constantly be looking at George's expressions, trying to read him and trying to look for what he so clearly desired.