Chapter 4

"I know you won't be able to hear this. But Amber, I love you so, so much...I've always loved you. I always WILL love you. And our baby. Please, please wake up. I'm scared. They are about to do some tests to see if our baby is okay. I hope they are, more than anything. You need to pull through Amber, not just for yourself, but for the baby. I love you."

I could hear him, and I wanted to respond really badly, but I couldn't. I couldn't move, I couldn't open my eyes. I was in a coma.

I felt his hands gently fold over my hands, and I felt him put his head on my stomach and he began shaking gently. He was crying.

"DAMNIT!" He suddenly yelled out.

"THIS IS ALL ZOEY'S FAULT!" He exclaimed before wilting and crying again.

It killed me that I couldn't comfort him, or to at least move slightly to show him I was alright, I could hear him. But I was stuck in this world, a world of black and hopelessness. When was I going to get out?

Soon I heard doctors in the room coaxing Kayden out. Through muffled tears he spoke to them.

"Okay...do- do everything you can. Save both of them. Please."

I heard him be escorted out of the room, and the door close behind him.

Doctors were checking to see if the baby was okay. I heard trolleys and the sound of plastic gloves and beeping noises. The doctors were talking, but they were talking to quickly for me to catch on.

They worked on my stomach, I had no idea what they were doing. They put things on my stomach and moved stuff around.

After a few minutes, they and their equipment were gone, and I was alone again in the silent deathly room.

Mum and dad came in a short while later, good thing mum was okay. They didn't speak, they just pulled a chair up on either side of my hospital bed. Dad sat on the one closest to the window, mum sat on the one closest to the door. They both grabbed one of my hands and held it, for a long time. Their touch calmed me down, they weren't crying. I'd have to thank them for that later, crying for me made me upset and nervous, especially when I couldn't do anything to comfort them.

There was a soft knock on the door, and I heard Kayden talk to my parents. He talked so softly I couldn't understand it. My parents got up and left the room, giving Kayden a few encouraging words on the way out.

Kayden sat in the chair by the window, and held my hand. A single tear fell from him and landed on my hand, he quickly wiped it away with his thumb.

"The baby is okay Amber. He or she is fine, they're fine, we're still going to be parents!" He started to laugh through his tears.

I was screaming with happiness on the inside, I wanted to get up and dance and jump around with joy, my baby was okay!! But all I could force myself to do was the slightest smile, normal people wouldn't be able to even notice it, but to me it was a huge milestone.

Kayden noticed.

"Did? Did I see that? Did you move? Your mouth?" He asked in utter shock.

Come on Amber, move for him. I used up all my strength and my lips started to twitch, ever so slightly.

"I knew it! That's wonderful Amber! Just keep trying okay?" He told me.

He took off his black flat cap and placed it on my messy hair. Gosh it was uncomfortable the way he put it on. It wasn't sitting on my ears right.

My eyes started to flutter, and after a few minutes of trying to open them, they opened. I had to open them like someone would climb Mount Everest, a little bit, then back down, then the next time a little bit more, then back down. Until I could go all the way.