Part 2 Teaser

Mramko Nowak was escorted by two guards through the dark corridors from the dungeons to the courtyard. Had he not been beaten and left with broken ribs and a bloodshot eye, Mramko would have tried to resist. But he learned quickly that he was no match for the Luliyans and their guard.

Mramko was brought to the feet of Korrollath. “Stva, Mramko,” Korrollath greeted him in Vearean with a deep voice.

“How long will you keep me in these chains?” Mramko asked the ruler.

“Fear not,” Korrollath told him, “as soon as you agree to my deal, you will be released.”

“But I can’t agree to your deal!” Mramko yelled ferociously.

One of the guards kicked Mramko in the cheek, knocking him to the ground. “Do not raise your voice in the presence of their majesty!”

Mramko spit out the teeth that had been knocked out by the kick. “I can’t agree to the deal because I can’t set foot in Vearea, Echaria, or Teton without being executed immediately! How could I spy on foreign governments with a bounty on my head?”

Korrollath laughed as he turned to one of the trees in the courtyard and plucked a dead leaf from it. Mramko saw the deep scars on Korrollath’s back, a characteristic of every Luliyan Demon, which were displayed proudly.

“You humans are so simpleminded,” Korrollath said as he crushed the dead leaf in his hand. “Your appearance can easily be altered. We can make you unrecognizable.”

“I have a counteroffer,” Mramko bargained for his life. “Let me be your advisor. I was Prime Minister for years, and I know the ins and outs of Parliament, The Monarchy, and the Empire. Let my knowledge serve you.”

“I don’t need any more advisors,” Korrollath replied. “But if you think your knowledge will help me on my path to eradicate the Four Realms, I’ll keep you alive.”

“Thank you,” Mramko cried.

“Take him back to the dungeons,” Korrollath told the guards. “And have Tullmoll visit him later.”

“You’re keeping me prisoner?” Mramko asked angrily.

“Unless you prefer death,” Korrollath answered. They took out their sword, bejeweled with black stones.

“I don’t,” Mramko said quietly. The guards pulled him to his feet and dragged him back to the dungeons underneath Korrollath’s castle.

“Your majesty,” one of the servants approached Korrollath and bowed.

“Yes?” Korrollath answered as they plucked more dead leaves from the tree.

“We’ve located Cadriel, the Princess, and the Prime Minister's daughters,” the servant said.

“Perfect,” Korrollath replied. “Bring them to me, dead or alive.”