Xianshe II - The Present (3)

Happy new year, all!

I am well aware of how rarely I update these days. My school workload has gotten heavier and DR chapters are scarily long and take hours to rewrite, hence why I'm updating other stories instead (well, I don't really do that either now, do I lmao?).

But my New Year's Resolution is to update more frequently! It's been almost two years since I began this fic, and I can sadly say that its nowhere near completed lol

Revised 01/01/23

* * *

Wei Wuxian stretched his arms, walking away. "Oh well.. The new ones will always surpass the old, won't they? It's time to go back~"

Lan Jingyi muttered under his breath, "Lan-er-gege? Then does that mean Zewu-Jun is Lan-dage? Oh, what about Lan Qiren? Shanyang-dage?"

Lan Sizhui's face was impossibly red as he once again exclaimed, "Jingyi-!!"

Lan Wangji glanced to Wei Wuxian, who was watching the two Lans' interaction with a fondness not known to many; his eyes crinkled at the edges and his teeth were brought together in a wide smile that made Lan Wangji's breath hitch.

"Beautiful," Lan Wangji murmured, raising a hand to tenderly cup Wei Wuxian's cheek.

"Lan Zhan," whispered Wei Wuxian in response. "They're growing up so fast..."

In all his misery, sitting in one corner of the room, a certain Jiang Sect Leader could be seen gagging. Beside him, Jiang Yanli hid a giggle behind her hand.

Speechless, Jin Zixuan pointed at the pair, his head snapping to his wife in search of an explanation. "A-Li, this– They– Wei Wuxian!"

"A-Xian really is a harbinger of positivity, isn't he?" said Jiang Yanli fondly. "I'm so glad he found someone like Young Master Lan."

"A-Li," Jin Zixuan whispered sharply. "Wei Wuxian! Lan Wangji!"

"Yes, A-Xuan, they're partners, like you and I."

"But..." Jin Zixuan murmured. "Weren't they at each other's throats, like, days ago?"

"Years ago, A-Xuan," Jiang Yanli corrected. "And no, they just... well, let's say it was a lover's quarrel, hm?"

In the meantime, Lan Qiren had blood dripping down his chin in a small trail of red, which was hurriedly wiped away with a handkerchief by Lan Xichen.

Wei Wuxian was awoken by the sound of a barrage of footsteps approaching, sounding like something akin to the march of an army. He rubbed his eyes groggily, a frown pulling at his lips. 'What happened? Did something go wrong with the boys' flag formation?'

"To think Senior Wei thinks of us first and foremost..." said Lan Jingyi appreciatively. "That's so sweet."

The Juniors nodded in unison.

"How could I not?" Wei Wuxian answered flatly, as if such a course of action shouldn't be questioned. "You're all my little Juniors; to not be worried would be very thoughtless of me as your senior! Besides...without me, who knows what mischief you'd get up to?"

Lan Wangji looked unconvinced.

"Is he referring to me?" Lan Jingyi pointed to himself—he was speaking to Sizhui. "Am I so irresponsible?" The words were bitter, although he was smiling mischievously.

The door was suddenly forced open, revealing a horde of many servants who were crowding the entrance, lit torches in their hands.

Still partially dazed, Wei Wuxian allowed himself to be pulled away by two servants who held him up by the arms. 'The things I made need to be used carefully, or else disasters can happen. But nothing was wrong with the flags that the boy drew. Just what in the world..?'