Chapter Six. The Coral Cave

Dahlia's POV

"I BEAT YOU!" Destiny laughed as we stood on the sand looking at the water.

"Yeah yeah- let's just go already" I said as I walked behind the rocks on the beach so I was out of sight and dived into the water.

One second I had legs and the next I had an orange tail and a bra of orange scales that covered my chest, fish swam passed me as I swam through the reef gracefully.

Destiny came out from behind a giant coral plant in front of me and smiled, the ocean is our special place. We love swimming in the reef, it helps us calm down from stressful days like this.

Dahlia thinking
The thing about mermaids is that people always make up things that aren't true, which isn't their fault- I mean obviously they wouldn't know behaviors of real mermaids because practically no one believes in them.

Me and Destiny can't breathe underwater, it actually took a while for us to adapt to holding our breaths so we could swim in the reef for hours on end. But we've been mermaids since second grade so we're used to it now.

We become mermaids about ten seconds after touching water or liquids, which is difficult if we're at school or in public, but we're still learning how to perfect certain situations. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Destiny motions her hand for me to follow her, I follow her and we swim into a cave; which leads to a pool inside a cave on land which is made of beautiful blue coral walls.

No one knows about this cave, well- that's what we assume.

I swim to the surface of the pool in the coral cave and sigh happily.

"The reef looked amazing today" I smile.

"Nothing different to me, the reef is always amazing." Destiny said.

"That's true," I say as I run my fingers through my wet hair,

"Des do you ever think of what would've happened if we never became mermaids?"

"Not really, actually- I can't imagine us not being mermaids, and sharing it with someone I love so much."

I raise an eyebrow.

"I love you as a best friend of course- nothing more than that silly." she laughs and splashes my face.

"Yeah that's what I thought." I laugh.

I float on my back in the water looking at the blue coral walls, soaking it all in and sighing of happiness as the water shimmers on my scales and skin.