30. quit

CHAPTER THIRTY

QUIT

tuesday, may 4th

"Storm, I'm scared."

A long-drawn sigh blows through the speakers of the phone, followed by a muffled, "I know, Asif." I can almost picture Storm rolling their eyeliner coated eyes, not because they're annoyed, but because I've been complaining about how scared I am for the past half an hour now.

"I want to quit, but I don't want to not have a job after I do!" I exclaim, shoving my left hand into the pocket of my hoodie to ease its trembling. "How did you just do it? I'm so scared. I don't want to talk to Russel, I can see him sitting there. He's smoking, Storm, oh my God. He isn't even going to put out the cigarette when I go to meet him. That's so gross, it's literally second-hand smoking. I've smoked, sure, but I don't want to breathe in someone else's smoke."

Another sigh, this one a tell-tale sign that they're about to launch into a speech to help calm my nerves.

And I'm proven right when they say, "Asif. Listen to me. You go in, you tell Russel that you're quitting, you ask him to give you your paycheck, you leave. That's it. I promise, it'll be over before you know it. Granted, Russel doesn't hate me as much as he hates you because I'm a photographer who's unfortunately, easily replaceable—"

"You're not easily replaceable."

"You're right, I'm a fucking catch. Anyway, you're a model who isn't as easily replaceable considering there isn't anyone else who's like you—"

"Storm," I hiss, partially because this isn't doing anything to ease my nervousness, but mostly because their words, there isn't anyone else who's like you send a flutter of fairies loose in my stomach. "Not helping."

Somehow, Storm isn't fazed by my irritation as a result of nervousness. They just let out a soft laugh, and say, "Asif. I promise, there isn't anything that he can do. What's he going to do, get violent? You're surrounded by people. He can't do anything to you, okay? I—"

"Can you stay on the line?" I shake my head, it does nothing to clear my thoughts. "Like, when I'm talking to him. I'll keep my earphones in, so that you can hear the conversation and I can hear you." I'm being ridiculous. "Can you stay on the line?" I repeat, more hesitant this time, my brain my worst enemy, yelling at me to not be so needy all the time, even though this is a genuine fear.

What if he touches me? No one will be able to do anything if he touches me.

There's a pregnant pause for a moment, the only sound heard through the phone being a slight static from Storm's end. Then, Storm just says, "Yeah, of course. I'm making my way out of Rafael's place right now, I'll come to you and then, once you're done talking to him, we'll go get lunch somewhere far, far away from Russel. I'll stay on the line while I drive, so that—"

"No!" I instantly blurt out, loud enough for the people entering the restaurant that Russel's sitting in to hear me.

"No?"

"You have to have both hands on the wheel!" I state firmly. "You can use that Bluetooth nonsense, the hands-free talking thing. But you can't use your phone and drive."

Storm laughs. "Wasn't planning on using my phone, Asif." Say my name again. "Okay, I'm staying on the line. Go now! I promise, it'll be okay. And after you're done, you'll be free! Go! I'm here."