Chapter 1

It was the morning of the worst day of the year. The Reaping. I live in District 12, the poorest district of Panem. We are made fun and teased by the Capitol and are treated like we are weak, and useless. In a few hours, my family and I would be heading down to the town square for the annual Reaping of the tributes in the 74th Hunger Games. My name is Peeta. I work in my family’s bakery. My family is known for their wonderful baked Danishes, and warm fresh donuts. Not many kids like me in my district because I am considered "rich" and "never being hungry." I despise this label that my parents have built up for me. I am nothing like what people see on the outside. On the inside, I am a caring and a humble person. I wish my classmates and other locals would just realize that.

 "Peeta!" my mom calls. "It's time to head down to the Town Square! Make sure to wear your Sunday best! You want to look fancy, don't you?

 There's the attitude my mom has that makes me feel uncomfortable with other kids. I always stand out because of what I'm wearing and how I am supposed to act.

 "Yes mom, of course, I will be right there!" I replied with uneasiness.

 *sigh* It's going to be another one of those years.