Chapter Six

"Maybe I'm just hard to love."

-And easy to leave.

Valeria

~~

"We'll wait until she wakes up."

"Boss, I'm not sure maybe we should see if she is awake before the boy starts asking questions."

I hear voices talking and all I can remember is hearing Ryker telling people to leave and then getting hit at the back of the head.

I try to open my eyes but the lights are too bright but I can feel a nice soft blanket maybe under me. Maybe I'm in my bedroom?

"She's waking up boss." Someone in the room says and I feel the bed dip from a corner and someone telling other people to leave.

"Hello," says a voice that reminds me of warm hugs and laughter. Something I don't remember anyone giving me.

I open my eyes and I see a man who must be in his late 40's same age as my mom probably. He's got these pale green eyes and tanned skin and blonde hair. Does he look almost like me?

"Who are you?" I say quickly sitting up to fast and the pounding headache in my head makes me want to cry right now but maybe it's the man sitting in front of me too?

"Tu ressembles à ta mère Valérie" I have no clue what he just said. But Valérie translates to Valeria in french. Why is this man speaking another language to me?

"I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying." And then it all hits me this isn't my room I turn my head and I see an ocean. My house does not have an ocean view and there are boats ordered along the whole coast of it.

"Tell me who you are! I will call the police right now!" I shout at the man and he stands up crossing the room. "I'm your father"

My father. "No my dad is gone. Why would you say that." I spit out and start running to the door trying to open it but it's locked. "You kidnapped me that's a crime! My mom is a very good lawyer now let me out please!" I can feel the tears because this is man makes sense.

This person in front of me looks exactly like the man in the picture mom holds in her room. But older of course.

She used to tell me stories about a devilishly handsome young man who met a beautiful young woman and they fell in love. I've always dreamed of it being my dad--the man in the photo--but this is my father. He's not a fantasy planted in my head he's real.

"If you're my father then what's my mother's name?" He smiles at that and whispers for only me to hear. "Marie" and he was right. That is my mom's name.

He also has a glint of love in his eyes when he whispered her name. I can only wonder if I was the one who tore them apart.

"Why did you go? My whole life I just wanted someone to love me. Mom was always too busy to be there and I didn't have a father. Growing up I just thought people never saw anything special in me that I was just an old book people would grab for a while and put back. Why didn't you come back when I needed you the most? Why couldn't I live the normal life I wanted to so bad?"