Second Chances

The sun beamed through my curtains waking me up. Rubbing my eyes and sitting up, the smell of coffee and syrup made my stomach growl. What really got me out of bed though, was the fact that I was hearing more than one female voice.

Freshening up first, because I didn't want to go out there looking or even feeling gross, I made up the bed and headed out down the hall and into the living room. There I saw Clarissa sitting at a barstool laughing until she saw me walk in.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." She greeted me with a warm smile. "We made breakfast."

Despite my growing hunger, I didn't budge from the spot I was standing in. "Who's 'we'?" I asked, immediately putting my guard up.

Before she could answer, Janet peeked around the corner from the wash room, slowly emerging into full view. Letting out a dry chuckle I went to go sit on the couch, waiting for someone to explain why she was here.

"Well," Clarissa breathed, glancing at the both of us. "I think it's time we actually clear the air and go back to being....cordial, at least."

I watched as Janet was about to speak up but a knock on the door interrupted her.

"I'll get it." Clarissa muttered, walking to the door to answer it.

Not even two seconds later she walked back to her seat at the bar with a look of annoyance plastered across her face, making me wonder who was at the door. I didn't have to worry for long because soon after, Michael and Marissa walked into the living room. Suddenly my appetite was gone.

"Kenny, can we talk?" Michael asked, wasting no time.

"No." I answered. I then looked over at Janet. "I'd rather talk to her."

Surprised by what I'd just said, Janet looked back and forth between Michael and I before finding her voice.

"I just wanted to apologize again for the part I played in hurting Malcolm. I love him to death and I didn't mean for things to get so out of hand." She said, finally letting out the breath she was holding.

"Did you say that to Malcolm?" I asked.

"Yes, we've talked," She replied. "Several times."

"He accepts your apology?"

"Yes."

"Are you lying to me?"

"No."

"Okay," I shrugged. "Go finish your breakfast, you look a little famished."

She chuckled, while rolling her eyes in amusement and I could see the relief wash over her.

"Now can we talk?" Michael asked, cutting into my thoughts.

I shot him a glare telling him 'No' then turned to Marissa to ask her why she was here before Michael could even protest.

"Why can't we get to that?!" Marissa gestured between Janet, who was now sitting at the bar next to Marissa, and I. "What she did was way worse than what I've ever done but you continue to look at me like trash when you see me."

I raised my brows and leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees. "Can you blame me?"

"Wha-" She gasped and looked around at everyone else as if to find some sort of explanation.

"Here we go..." Michael sighed while sitting down on the sofa, making himself comfortable.

"We used to be Best Friends!!" She stressed. "Sisters. Why is it so hard to get back to that?!"

I scoffed. I was truly taken aback by how she didn't seem to understand why I'm not so forgiving of her these days anymore.

"You're constantly trying to sleep with my man or undermine me in some way." I laughed but was far from amused. "Sisters don't do that."