Chapter 17: Bad News

"Curse you, Wu," Gaia panted, wiping away a few droplets of sweat from her forehead. She had arrived at the monastery, though it had taken her the better part of an hour to get there. Her legs had become sore after the first ten minutes, as she hadn't exercised in a while, but Gaia wasn't one to quit easily. Wu had taught her that: not to give something up unless it meant the world to her. 

She had given Wu up. 

Gaia grabbed the golden hoof-shaped ring on the monastery gate and pulled it with all her strength. She was unpleasantly surprised to find that the gate was locked. 

Although Gaia had been stripped of her elemental powers, she still had some magic left in her. Not enough to fly up to the monastery and back, but enough to make small hole in the gate for her to climb through. The former goddess closed her eyes and focused on the heat in her body. Her hand went up in flames and she smiled. Gaia punched through the gate and as she did, she thought of water. She was thirsty and tired, and she wanted nothing more than a cool glass of-

The smoke began to clear a few moments later. Gaia climbed through the hole and stepped into the training yard. It was empty. She shook the ash off her dress and tied her hair back with a black scrunchie, hoping she didn't look too exhausted. 

Gaia walked up to the door and slid it open, not trying to be particularly quiet. She began searching the whole monastery, checking each of the rooms eagerly for any pictures of Wu. Even though it had been centuries since she had last seen him, Gaia was still head over heels in love. 

She finally came across a collection of pictures. They were paintings of Wu and the ninja, framed with light bamboo sticks and propped against small bags of tea leaves. Gaia picked each one up to get a closer look. She could easily identify all the ninja by the colors they wore. She smiled, impressed that Wu had been able to deal with all of them. They looked like quite the bunch.

There was the fire ninja, clad all in red, with spiky hair and a smile that looked magnetic. He was handsome in a very special way, and boy, was he hot. 

Next came the blue ninja, master of lightning and all things hilarious

Next came the blue ninja, master of lightning and all things hilarious. He too had an attractive smile, and it seemed that it'd led the boy to the girl in the photo next to his.