Chapter 19: Resurrection

"And you are?" Nya prompted, glaring at the girl.

"Vivi," Gaia lied. She cringed when the words came out of her mouth. Vivi had been one of Gaia's greatest enemies (aka Wu's first girlfriend). She'd been the master of life, able to gift breath to anything but the dead. 

Of course, there were no more masters of life, as Gaia had killed Vivi before she could pass down her elemental powers. 

Gaia didn't even glance at Nya as she spoke; her eyes were fixed on Cole. He blushed and looked down at the wooden floor. 

"The ninja, I presume?" she asked cheerfully, gesturing to the bunch. Everyone but Akita and Misako nodded. 

"I am such a fan!" Gaia squealed, making eye contact with the master of earth. Cole's heart melted. Vania had said the same thing when she first met him. Vania. Cole glanced down at the girl in her arms and mentally slapped himself. He didn't want to forget about Vania. He couldn't fall for Vivi now. 

But he already had. 

Cole hadn't meant to jump into this rabbit hole. Vivi had shown up when his heart was at its weakest, and his vulnerability was showing. Plus, Vivi was so attractive. Her wavy brown hair was in a half-down half-up braid that swished every time she moved. Her eyelashes were long and curly, even more so than Nya's. She had a naturally beautiful face and a slim, curvy body. 

"Vivi," Misako said thoughtfully. "As in Vivi, the first master of life?"

"Yes." Gaia replied curtly, narrowing her eyes at the archaeologist. Cole and Lloyd tensed. They didn't appreciate how she treated Misako. The green ninja took a step forward and decided to show the same attitude.

"And what business do you have living in a tree?" he asked. "Are you the master of birds?" Jay giggled and Zane cracked a smile. 

"No. I'm a descendant of two powerful elemental masters," Gaia lied, her pride getting the best of her. "And my parents were actually beneficial to society. Unlike your father."

The room fell silent. Lloyd fumed and Misako clenched her fists, trying to keep her composure. 

Nya couldn't take it anymore. She dropped Jay's hand, stepped towards Gaia, and punched her in the face.

"Don't you dare speak about Garmadon like that," Nya said sharply as Gaia stumbled backwards. "He sacrificed himself to save Ninjago. Without him, you would be dead. But then again, maybe that's a good thing." 

No one, not even Cole, helped Gaia up. They all knew Nya was right. 

The former goddess sat on the floor, a bruise already forming on her cheek. She stared bullets at Nya, and the master of water shot her own glare back.  

At last, Gaia looked down at the floor.

"Sorry," she muttered. A smile began to form on her lips. "I wasn't myself." Gaia pushed herself off the floor, her dress rising from the ground like a gentle wave. 

"I can bring her back," Gaia said proudly, pointing to Vania.

"No way," Lloyd interjected before Cole could say anything. "If you heard about my father, I think you've learned that resurrection only makes things worse." 

The earth ninja stood up and walked towards Gaia.

"Please," Cole whispered, putting his hands on Gaia's shoulders. "Please, Vivi. Bring her back. I need her. I miss her, more than I could ever tell you. If you can do that, we'll leave and never think about this again."