Chapter 6

Maerie was woken up promptly by three firm knocks on her door. Her long eyelashes blinked slowly, uncertainty flashing through her mesmerizing eyes.

Today... was the second day she's awoken, almost delirious from sleep. She's no longer in purgatory, no longer awaiting her unknown fate. It seems... surreal.

"Lady Doll?" came Raijin's voice.

Maerie's eye narrowed in annoyance almost immediately.

Right, he was also proof of her rebirth.

"Enter, Raijin."

After she commanded him, she took her time to sit up and stretch. The door to her room opened, with Raijin leading a timid Ina inside. Ina slowly made her way to Maerie, who got out of bed and glanced at the small girl. Ina stiffened in fear, bowing her head even lower.

"Lady... Lady Doll, breakfast is served. It is set up... outside in the main room," Ina said, her speech unnatural and almost robotic, "Would you like... would you like this servant to assist you in dressing?"

For other students, the assigned servant would naturally dress, serve, and accompany them without fail. Even Maerie herself wouldn't be an exception to this. However, because of her temperament, those who normally would do so are reluctant, fearing that they may cross her one way or another. Ina was probably warned about this from other maids prior to her serving Maerie, otherwise she would have just done it without question.

'It seems I've been gossiped bout a lot amongst the servants,' she thought, silently observing Ina before shifting her gaze to Raijin.

'Quite a bit,' Raijin's eyes seemed to playfully convey back.

"No, go wait for me in the main room. I prefer to dress myself." Maerie's dismissive tone was enough for Ina to hurriedly bow before quickly retreating.

As Maerie undid the sleeping gown's buttons, she paused and looked at the one person who didn't retreat.

"What are you waiting for?" Maerie snapped.

Raijin stepped in further and closed the door behind him. "When a wolf wants to capture a lamb, it must first act like one."

Maerie snorted. "A wolf shouldn't be so quick to put away it's teeth."

"Then it should learn to do so, since that lamb is a crucial part of wanting to live." Raijin seemed to like talking in roundabout terms, so Maerie quickly put an end to it.

"Alright, I got it," Maerie scowled, "I know she's important."

Maerie felt her chin jerk to the side, those electrifying eyes starting to become a bit hateful as they look back at her.

"Then next time," Raijin hummed, "when I send her your way, take better care of the gifts I send."

His finger tapped the side of her cheek, causing her to really look at him with a hateful gaze.

"I'm letting you know now, because there will be more in the future," Raijin let go, allowing Maerie to now rub her sore jaw, "I will be deeply troubled if you're this passive to my good intentions all the time."

Maerie gave him a grim smile. "Good intentions that only benefit you in the end."

"Benefit the both of us, Miss Maerie," he corrected, smiling when Maerie chose to ignore him.

Maerie walked past him and into the connected bathroom, looking back. "Then allow me to first benefit myself, go wait with Ina."

"Of course, My Lady."