Grow a Spine

“What was that?!” Beckham yells.

                “Move!” I push Beckham away and kick down the door.

                Beckham stares at me in disbelief. I guess I should expect this, it’s not every day a weakling like me kicks down a door, but it’s just an adrenaline rush. I run in and look around for any signs of blood. The shots continue along with the occasional scream. I run around to the corner and stop in shock. My jaw drops to the floor. The gun shots and screams came from a video game. A young blonde girl has her back to me. I walk across the room without invitation and get another surprise.

                “Delphia?!?”

                The blonde girl drops the control and screams. Not in horror but joy almost. Then she runs over and hugs me.

                “Oh my gosh! Darci, what are you doing here? How did you find me! I missed you so much! And you brought Beckham! Oh goody! Does anyone want hot cocoa? I’ll make some.” Delphia says.

                I turn to Beckham in shock. Why is Delphia at his grandma’s house? A clanking comes from the kitchen but Beckham and I stay put. Why is Delphia here? The last time I looked she was at home, not that I check that often. Yes, Delphia is my best friend, well kind of. In reality I guess I hate her. I hate her so much sometimes that once I almost killed her. It was back in seventh grade. Delphia and I just walked home from school and we were having a sleepover. Back then Delphia still got everything she wanted so her room was huge. Everything was purple and white because, to Delphia, purple was the color of royalty. We were both lying on her bed and it was just after dinner…

                “Oh my gosh Darci you ate like half of our house!” Delphia flips through her magazine.

                “Ha-ha. Sorry.” I fake laugh.

                “So tonight I was thinking, we should totally prank call Alexandre. You know maybe we could find out if he likes you Darci!” Delphia says.

                “Oh my goodness! NO! You know I can’t talk to him and what if he finds out I like him?”

                “So what? Did you know his name means “defender of the people”? Guess what your name means Darci. It means “of the dark”. How weird, because you are so sweet and quiet. Although no one knows better than you what is going on in your head. My name means “hollow” according to this website, which must be wrong. I am not hollow.”

                I force myself not to laugh. Hollow is exactly how I would describe Delphia. She has no feeling for anyone but herself. How could she even think of calling Alexandre? She knows I have the biggest crush on him. I turn to look at Delphia. She’s dialing the phone and smiling. She’s calling Alexandre. I feel like someone has smacked me in the face and ripped out my heart. How could she? Before I know it she hits speaker and I hear him say hello. Delphia giggles and begins to talk like a boy.

                “Hey Alex. It’s um, Oliver. I was just calling to ask you about Darci.” Delphia says into the phone.

                “What about her?” Alexandre asks.

                I'm surprised he actually thinks Delphia is his best friend Oliver. Then again he probably sounds different over the phone. Alexandre sounds just like himself over the phone. It makes me want to melt right into the bed sheets.

                “Uh, what do you think of her?”

                My heart quickens and I freeze up. Am I actually going to let Delphia do this? What if he says something bad? What if he says something good? I want to know but I don’t. I hate this feeling.