Non shorts: To Write or Not to Write

I have this question on my mind all the time.

On one hand, I should be working harder at life to be successful, not wasting my time writing fanfics for a nice community. How will I earn money if I'm not focusing on studying and paying attention in class? Will this simple action waste my life away because I was simply funnelling my effort into the wrong thing?

This sort of mindset overtakes me all the time. I don't usually have to study to do well on a test, but that's because tests don't get hard until you reach AP/IB classes or university. If I don't start trying, I could easily fail everything.

Life is short. Each day you waste is one that you can't get back. And I'm over here, wasting it on wattpad.

But with that thought, I can turn it around.

Life is short. Each day you waste is one that you can't get back. And I'm far off in the future, wishing that I had had more fun doing what I wanted to do.

Writing is my passion, as gooey and sappy as that sounds. I like it. It makes me happy. So why not do what makes me happy?

Did you know that there was a one in one billion trillion or so (I don't remember, but hey, it was a big number) chance that you --- you, specifically --- would be born? You beat all of your siblings out of the womb and came into this world. Finally, you get reincarnated as a human after all those lifetimes as a rock or a tree or a bird or a statue or something, and you waste it? Dude.

These two conflicting viewpoints tend to drive me wild. It's like I'm arguing with myself. But just know that doing what you love is not a waste of time. You waste your time when you're doing something that isn't worth it.

"Time you enjoyed wasting, is not wasted time." - John Lennon (or Bertrand Russell, both come up as the person who said this --- gee, thanks, internet)

Don't worry about it. Just do what you like doing and be happy.