The Mark

(Somewhere in the Twilight Zone...)

Slinking into a barstool, Sasha crossed her legs and winked at Noah who was drying a wine glass.

"Evening," sea glass dropped to her cleavage. "Vhat can I get you?"

She smiled at her partner

She smiled at her partner. He was wearing black slacks and a vest over a white dress shirt that was rolled above his elbows. She knew he hated going undercover.

"Tonic water, please," she smiled before looking down at her phone.

"I see him," Ricky announced into her ear from the van. "ETA five minutes. Mark. Now."

Noah placed a tonic in front of her.

When she went to grab the glass he quickly placed a napkin. "Sorry," he apologized when his fingers caressed hers. "Long night. I forgot your napkin." His sea glass eyes burned into hers before he moved down to help another customer.

Sasha hated going undercover. Hated using her body to seduce and kill. But her team was impeccable, and they had never once failed.

But this mark made her nervous. Russian mafia was dangerous. Being a black woman in Russia made her shine like a Batman beacon. All eyes were drawn to her.

"Eveneeng," a man with a beard and a suit that struggled to close over his beer gut slid into the barstool next to her.

Sasha carefully placed her tonic on the black square napkin and angled to greet the stranger. "Hi," she smiled shyly, fingering a twist of her hair. She saw her mark enter the bar with a young woman on his arm.

Aleksander Tchiviosky was a striking man. Too bad he would be dead soon.

She looked back at the man hitting on her.

"You here with anyone?" the barrel of a man asked. "Can I buy you dreenk?"

"I'm good, actually," she turned away towards the bar. From the reflection of the mirror behind the wine glasses she could see the mark sit at a table and unbutton his trench coat. Sasha lowered her eyes.

"Great," the man next to her gestured to Noah to order. "What can I get you? Vodka?"

Sasha's eyes darted to Noah who had tapped his thigh twice then flashed three fingers. Great, Aleksander Tchiviosky had three guards with him today and was packing a gun of his own. She'd have to be careful.

"Actually, I have to go," she shrugged. She had to hope this would work. There was a fifty percent chance the mark won't pay her any attention. She sat at the table across from him, meeting his eye when she sat down. Then she unlocked her phone and scrolled her fake social media accounts. Every now and then she'd glance up like she was waiting for someone.

He had noticed her. His obsidian gaze was studying her.

Sasha looked toward the bar and realized the bearded barrel was coming toward her looking angry. This could end badly.