Prologue

Life without Hisashi Midoriya was troublesome, to say the least, Inko never thought that her loving husband would up and leave. He had not only left Inko Midoriya behind but their two-year-old son, Izuku Midoriya, as well. Hisashi's absence left Inko with nothing but feelings of betrayal, sadness, and confusion, she couldn't comprehend why her now estranged husband left. The most confusing thing was the fact that he hadn't even asked for a divorce, never even mentioned such a thing, just said he was leaving.

That was never the worst part of Hisashi Midoriya leaving, the worst part was explaining what had happened to a two-year-old and not just any two-year-old, their son. Inko couldn't even begin to tell her child where his father had gone or why without tearing up and crying herself. Izuku would see this and hug her, comfort her with phrases she had used on him.

At first, it had been strange to raise Izuku alone, but it became easier over time. Inko managed to get a better-paying job than the one she had before; unlike with her last job Inko was able to decently spoil her child and live a comfortable lifestyle. She was proud to have found her footing, she was proud to be able to take care of her son without the help of her deadbeat husband.

Of course, peace was never a constant in the Midoryas' life. It started with Izuku being told he was quirkless then it devolved, Izuku would come home with tear-filled eyes, scratches, bruises, and sometimes burns. The boy would insist that they were all from accidents but Inko knew better, she regretted never forcing him to tell her about what was happening from the beginning. It was hard to watch the green-haired boy's confidence slowly dwindle every day he came home.

Life for the two took another tragically drastic turn for the two Midroiya's, Inko had been caught up in a villain attack in Izuku's second year of middle school. It was the one day her work requested that she come in physically to interview for her promotion rather than over a call as all her other ones had been.

Inko went to the building for her interview, it was at a hospital and one of the villains had been faking a concerned family member waiting for their loved one. This villain sat by the kind Midoriya, who struck up a friendly conversation with him. He was polite with her, never revealing an ounce of malicious intent.

Then in a swift movement he grabbed her violently, before she could attempt to escape from the hold there was a knife to her neck, she was a hostage.

Eventually, police and heroes had arrived ready to rescue her. They planned to have the heroes ambush the man as officers pretended to negotiate. This plan seemed smart at the moment but the turnout was tragic.

When they ambushed, the man was surprised which caused him to accidentally activate his quirk on Inko.

Before they could arrest the man he had killed himself, claiming that death was better than being a traitor to the operation.

Izuku was surprised to see police officers at his house when he arrived from school. They explained that the man who had held his mother hostage was a member of a gang, the gang was paid to kill people from a gang that they were acquainted with. The people they were sent to kill were being hospitalized from a fight that took place earlier that week. His mother was never a prime target, just a means to an end.

The boy was relieved to hear that his mother was not a target for any villain gang, he was relieved that his mother could live without too much worry. But that joy was quickly crushed, the officers then went on to explain that the villain had activated his quirk on Inko. They looked through the man's files and found that his quirk was a memory loss quirk, it slowly made her lose her memory inconsistently, there was no consistent pattern to how it functioned. The officers said that there was no way to deactivate it, only the quirk user could.