33三十三 Hyuga Clan

The sun arises telling them another day has come. Eunuch Li Xiao woke up when he heard something unusual outside his filthy bedroom. His forehead crumpled trying to make a solid conclusion about who is making such a strange sound. It chimes like a ritual or perhaps close to it. He carefully followed the odd murmurs which leads him to General Li Jie's room. It's quite dark since the sun has never reached the side of that house yet.

What is this man doing? He asks himself.

"General?" He cuts him off. He's obviously confused.

"Eunuch Li Xiao, you're awake," he simply said while making himself comfortable. "Did I disturb you?" He asks still not facing the old man.

"Yes. I heard something unusual."

"Sorry, I am citing a prayer for everyone's welfare."

"Oh, then, I shouldn't disturb you. I apologize."

༻❁༺

[Emperor's grand hall | Main Throne]

Yi Bai carefully read the imperial scrolls. These are the reports made by General Shufen.

"Great Emperor, I received this earlier. The imperial messenger said the situation between Qin and Olia's border is critical," he lowered his head, ashamed. "The majority of the grassland has been conquered by those unknown bandits."

Yi Bai's vision narrowed. Inside his head, he's trying to calculate the dreadful possibilities of his plan. He's the Emperor of this dynasty and so, he will never surrender this empire to everyone. Specifically for those foreign invaders.

"Haonan, gather the chancellors and ministers inside the inner court. I need to propose something."

"Xi, Bìxià (At your command, Your Majesty)"

༻❁༺

[Inside the inner court]

"I gathered everyone to announce another war in the future," Yi Bai walks back and forth and the way he does such is terrifying. Even Chancellor Min Je remains silent listening to the Emperor's notion.

How intriguing.

Certainly, as time passes by, people change too and the way Yi Bai has excel can be considered unpredictable. The old Chancellor knew that Yi Bai is hungry, thirsty, and blinded to power just like Fugako. Perhaps, that's the reason why he can manipulate them by offering him the gold in exchange for being an ally of the inner court's official.

How filthy. The political concept as a whole. But, it won't concern him any longer. Golds, yes. He only serves golds. No one and nothing else. Because loyalty is such a lame abstract in the survival of the fittest.

"Great Emperor, what do you suggest to do? We heard another war threatened to demolish this dynasty and I am as alarmed as you," Min Je smirks. He didn't mean to be sarcastic. It's just that, he's testing Yi Bai's reasoning. He's testing what he's capable of.

"I will revive the candidacy for concubines and slaves from our slave states," The Emperor proudly declares his statement. "We need to collect manpower, equipment, and even everyone's taxes."

Min Je's forehead crumpled. "Why?"

Yi Bai stared at him dangerously, "I will build a wall between Olia and the main empire."