Chapter 17

Ben wasn't far along the path to the garden when he noticed a familiar creature following him on his way to the garden. The bird who kept him company during his early days at the manor was flitting from one tree branch to another, tracking his movement.

"What are you doing out so late?" He asked and laughed to himself, "I guess I'm one to talk."

It didn't bother Ben to have a curious friend at his side, he missed Sparrow, but at least he wasn't alone. When he reached the iron door, Ben hesitantly approached it. The bird perched on the edge of the wall, and Ben stared up at it as if he would be emboldened by the sight of its glorious gold and orange colors.

Ben pressed against the door with a deep breath, slightly surprised when it swung open. He left it unlocked a week ago, but he was sure someone would have discovered that and locked it back up. When the door was open, Ben realized the girl was waiting patiently on the other side.

"I felt you coming," she said with a smile that exposed her unnervingly sharp teeth. "We have so much to talk about. I want to show you something." She turned away and started meandering down the nearest footpath, her legs and feet simply passing through the overgrown branches that hung in her way.

Ben took a deep breath before stepping into the garden. He felt that rush he felt the first night, like a wave of strength washing over him like the air inside the garden wall was different from the air on the other side. It was electric. Alive, despite the dead plants sprawling out in every direction.

"Leave the door open," the girl said, and Ben was aware that it was more of a command than a request. "Come quickly. I'm so excited."

Ben looked back at the door and considered her instructions. Why should he leave it open? He could only think of one reason because that's what she wanted, and for some reason, that was all that mattered. As he considered this, he saw the little bird drop down to the ground just outside the door. The bird chirped and jumped over the threshold and into the garden. Then it took off into the air, following close in the girl's path.

Why am I feeling this way? Ben asked himself as he realized his limbs felt light and his mind was clouded. It was like he was no longer supporting his own weight like his body had become some giant puppet being carried on strings from above.

"Before I show you what I've been working on, I want to prepare you for it. You know that I'm a fairy, that there are all kinds of fairies, but I haven't been entirely truthful with you."

He knew then that he'd made a mistake coming back to the garden. He wanted to turn and leave, but his legs didn't respond to his thoughts anymore. They were stuck on the path created for him by the girl as she gracefully led the way.

"You see, while humans call us fairies sometimes, there are other words they use to describe us. Sprites, whisps, angels." She stopped to spin on the spot as if to demonstrate some divine level of grace and beauty, then continued. "Spirits, that's another common one. It all depends on where our magic comes from, where we come from."

Ben could hear the music box still playing its tinkling tune somewhere in the distance. It surprised him to think he could wind it once and it would play for days, but he was too consumed with more ominous thoughts to consider it much further.

"The name that people have used for me in the past... I mean, you have to understand why I misled you. The people of your world are filled with prejudices, and I figured a good boy like you wouldn't really help me if I told you I was a demon, would you?"

Run! Ben's mind commanded, but he just stepped slowly forward, the music growing louder as they progressed towards it. Run away. This is a mistake! I shouldn't be here!