Chapter 4: A race against Torchic

The "famous" Torchic happily bounces in circles around Steven after he finishes treating its wounds.

The four of us are now relaxing in a forest at the base of Mt. Chimney. Luckily, we haven't seen any sign of that red-dressed man and his lackey. They must be long gone by now.

Steven only chuckles in response as he places the mini first-aid kit back in his satchel. Skarmory caws in joy too. I smile when Skarmory picks a berry from one of the trees before feeding it to Torchic.

"You know Steven, you must be a really powerful trainer," I comment.

He drinks from his canteen before wiping his lips with the back of his hand. Steven tilts his head, flashing me a sly smirk.

"What made you conclude that Miss May?"

I almost shake my head at his teasing tone. "You and your Skarmory beat that man's Camerupt in a second! I've never seen a Pokemon battle end that fast before! If I had a Pokemon, I would wanna battle you!"

Steven's cheeks flush from my praise, and he drops his head slightly to hide his face. He takes a deep breath before speaking to me again.

"It would be my honor to battle you someday May," he starts. "However, you and your Pokemon have to become strong before I could even consider you as a worthy opponent."

"You make it sound like you're royalty Steven," I say. "But yeah, you're right."

My eyes drift toward Torchic who is now refusing food from Skarmory. Skarmory decides to gulf down the rest of the berries himself since Torchic already ate its fill. Torchic notices me staring at it because it chirps at me excitedly.

"Torchic," Steven says. Torchic immediately directs its attention to the silver man.

"Would you like to become May's Pokemon partner?" Steven pauses for a bit before continuing.

"You've always rejected everyone else who sought you. And I understand why. You wish to be unencumbered by unworthy humans. But I assure you May is different from the others. She's never had a Pokemon before. She wishes to travel the world, but she needs a strong Pokemon such as yourself to accompany and protect her. Would you like to see the world as well?"

Upon hearing this, Torchic is now silent as it thoughtfully examines me. After about a minute, Torchic gives Steven a curt nod which makes him clap his hands in relief.

"Oh that's delightful! I didn't expect you to agree so quickly," he says.

Torchic squawks at Steven, then proceeds to shake its head. Steven's expression falters while I frown too.

"Wait, is that a no?" I question. "You don't want to be my partner?"

Torchic hops around a few times before coming across an exposed spot of dirt. The tiny Pokemon uses its foot to draw a line across it. Then Torchic runs a few feet away from the line, squats slightly, and then rushes toward the line. Afterwards, it looks up at me in anticipation.

Steven crosses his arms, furrowing his brows. "Pardon me. I don't comprehend what you're trying to portray here Torchic."

"Can you do that again please?" I ask.

Torchic nods, repeating the action once more. It's just running to a line like the marathoners Mom watches on TV sometimes. I freeze when I realize what Torchic is trying to tell us.

"I think I got it," I declare. "You're saying you want to race me. And if I win, you'll agree to be my Pokemon."

Torchic chirps approvingly, nodding ecstatically. Steven shakes with laughter as he looks back and forth between me and my new opponent.