TWENTY-TWO

Abigail knew Nick felt uncomfortable with her buying him new clothes, but she wanted to do it anyway. Her father had taught her to always look her best, and if she was going to be escorted around town on Nick's arm, she wanted him to look his best. Then again, that man looked good no matter what he wore.

He put up an argument at the clothing store, even took out a hundred-dollar bill from his wallet, but she took it, slipped it into her wrist purse, and paid for his clothes herself. She'd show him who was in control today.

In the car ride to her grandmother's house, she cuddled beside Nick, resting her head on his shoulder. Being beside him like this felt so right, and Abigail never wanted it to change. If this was a dream, she hoped to never wake up.

She patted his vest and then adjusted his tie. "I must admit, you're the most handsome man I've ever laid eyes on."

He lifted her chin with his knuckle. "That's because I'm wearing the most expensive suit in the store."

"No, you're not. There was actually one other that was more expensive, but I didn't like the color."

Nick shook his head. "Abby, you're wonderful." He kissed her nose. "I'm so lucky to have found you."

His mouth moved down and captured her lips. It didn't matter that Hudson could probably see them through the rearview mirror, because she didn't care who knew that she was falling in love with Nick. In fact, tomorrow, she would tell Harry and anyone else who cared to listen.

Nick cupped her face in his hands and kissed her more passionately. She slid her hands over his chest, and his heart beat crazily beneath her palms.

When he finally pulled his lips from hers, he kept her close. "Are you sure you want everyone to know about me, about us?"

"Yes." Abigail sighed. "People will be shocked. I mean, I'm supposed to be in mourning."

Nick pulled back to look deep into her eyes. "Yes, what about that? How long is it acceptable to be in mourning? A year?"

"No, that limit was condensed years ago. I think it all depends on the people, the family, and the situation. Since it's just me, I think I can stop wearing black now. In fact, tomorrow I'll wear a colorful dress. I'm tired of black and gray." She laced her fingers with his. "I'll always love my father and miss him terribly, but I want to live. You make me feel alive, Nick, and I never want that to end."

His fingers trailed over her cheek. "I'll do everything in my power to see that it will never end."

His voice choked, and the sadness in his eyes made Abigail's heart ache. Why was he looking at her in such a way, like he was afraid he'd never see her again? "Nick, there are so many things I don't know about you. I trust you with all my heart, but I wish I knew more."

"Like what?"

"Like where you came from. How did you find out about my father and me? How did you know you were supposed to protect me? And if you have a lot of money, why do you only have two suits?"

He frowned and rested his head back on the seat, closing his eyes. "Oh, Abby. I knew you'd ask these questions one day. And now that you have, I'm afraid to answer them."

"Why?" Her heart jumped to her throat. "You're not married, are you?"

Nick turned and looked at her. "I told you before I wasn't, and I swear that's the truth. You are the only woman in my life, and I'd like to keep it that way."

"Me, too."

He breathed a deep sigh and shook his head. "What I want to tell you is so far-fetched you're not going to believe it. I'm having a hard time believing it myself."