Part 4

"I sent those messages over two weeks ago, David! Where is she?" James yells into the microphone. He knows that his words will be distorted so that the employee will only know the words he speaks without any other information. 

"My apologies, but she left three days ago. I have not been in contact with her..." David tries to keep calm. He is talking to the CEO of the MPA, and one slip-up could get him fired.

James slumps in his chair, turning off the microphone and therefore ending the call. "This was a waste of time..." He mumbled, running his hand through his freshly cut hair. He had sent the encoded messages to the Coldwell office two weeks ago. He understood that it would take David a few days to decipher the messages and get Vanessa back on the team. He was the one who had chosen to allow Vanessa's release from the agency fifteen years ago.

He had regretted that decision since the day he made it.

With countless thoughts running endless relays in his mind, James gets up from his desk and exits the office. He has to turn on lights along the way, there are no windows in an underground bunker. He flips on the coffee pot and crosses off a few missed dates on the kitchen calendar.

"Not too long now," he realized, almost cheerful about the news. In just three more days, he would be on his tenth anniversary of not killing anybody. It could be seen as a miracle, but after you lock yourself away from society to keep from killing others... No, this date is not one most people would celebrate.

But, James would be changing soon. He would invite someone news into his life of encrypted voices and lonely days. He would soon have Vanessa come and keep him company. 

Sadly, he would not be able to force her to stay. No, that would be seen as a violation of human rights. He is not a beast in the tale with beauty, and he will not kidnap this woman who has lived eons longer than himself. But, he will do his best to try and convince her to stay with him. He is a middle-aged man by now, and will not live more than another fifty years in these conditions.

When James' coffee finishes brewing, he takes it with him to the large couch in the living room. He had made sure to put the very best of everything money could buy into this bunker. He had a little of everything, from radios to soccer balls and extra refrigerator racks. And looking at it all day after day does sometimes make him feel better about his solitude. He earned this, right?

James is deep in thought and halfway through his coffee when a strange noise is heard. After ten years, he knew every sound this bunker made. It is all as familiar as his heartbeat. His sound, too, is one he recognized. Wanting to confirm his suspicions, he goes to the bunker entrance.

And sure enough, there she is. An elegant woman looking to be a mid-adult with naturally tan skin and black hair. She looks over at him, wiping some snowflakes off her eyelashes with her mitten before asking, "Are you the CEO of MPA?"

James gleams. "That I am, Vanessa. Please, take your time. We are in no rush down here."

Vanessa allows herself to take a deep breath. She works to take off all the winter clothes she'd worn to protect herself against the arctic north. She might not be able to die, but being frozen alive is still an option. When she's soon wearing only her work outfit, she looks over at James. "I believe I am at a disadvantage, sir. For you know my name but I do not know yours."

James is so pleased by being able to hear another human's voice not coming through a computer makes him feel like a sunny day. "My most sincere apologies, I was afraid that if someone happened to decode my messages before they got to you, my name could be revealed right alongside my location. I was not able to take this risk. But my name is simply James, for I no longer care what comes before or after it.

"James," Vanessa repeats back, a polite smile on her face. "It seems so normal for a man of your status and power."

"I assure you that I am the only status," James corrects her. "My only power is nothing more than a curse that I have no control over."

"So I've heard," Vanessa nods. "Rumors and guesses were circulating the MPA many years ago as to why your hideaway. My conclusions were correct, as the curse has plagued your life."

James nods. "It is true, I was cursed that I will kill anyone whom I fall in love with so I locked myself away here," he motions to the bunker with his hands.

"Is this why you have called me here, James? Do you wish for my company because you will not be able to kill an immortal?"

"Yes," James answers bluntly.

"I will do it," Vanessa commits without being asked to do so.

"Are you certain?"

"I am. Message David to explain how to tell my family of my passing without any suspicion. I am ready to move on from fantasies, and I will learn to lead the MPA in the event of your passing so leadership can be transferred easily to me or another worthy candidate."

"Perfect."