The Elf

"C'mon, in here."

Marcus held the door open for his newfound company, the man being mindful of his friend's head and legs before letting the door swing shut. He walked towards the hallway, and nodded for the cloaked man to follow him to the guest room, flicking the lights on and kicking some of the empty boxes out of the way, dust flying in his face.

"Hak hak! Shit, uh, lay her on the bed, I'm gonna get the first aid kit." He sidestepped the man, frantically jiggling the handle to the bathroom before he finally opened it and swung open the medicine cabinet, grabbing the box and a bottle of painkillers.

Returning to the room, Marcus walked in on the man crouching beside her and holding her hand, whispering some kind of prayer. The shuffling of feet behind him brought him out of his trance.

"Apologies."

"It's cool." He grabbed the leather office chair from the desk, rolling it close to the bed so he could begin treating her. He grabbed a small scalpel from the box and began cutting the ripped grey tunic that she was wearing, tossing it on the floor and grabbing a bottle of antiseptic.

"What exactly caused this damage?" Marcus began dabbing at her wounds. They weren't deep enough that they would scar, but she'd still require stitches.

"Ambush." The man cautiously worded.

"That all you gonna say?"

"For the time being, yes."

"Course you are," he sighed, "I'm Marcus."

"I'm Avallac'h, the girl's name is Cirilla."

"Well, Avallac'h, I can tell you this dude- I'll do whatever I can to stabilize her, but she won't be recovering quickly. You should consider taking her to a hospital or something, 'cause I'm not much of a doctor."

"No." He stated firmly.

"Seriously? Don't you care about-?"

"Yes, but... you must understand, very dangerous people wish to harm her. That's why I brought her to you." He took a seat in the creaky wooden chair at the foot of the bed.

"I'm not sure what you're implying-" Marcus was trying to be hesitant with what he said when Avallac'h cut him off."

"I know what you are."

Marcus stopped threading the needle.

"What is that exactly?" Avallac'h remained stoic as ever.

"Assassin. You're an Assassin."

Restraint was something that Marcus thought he had mastered, he hadn't had a rage filled outburst in years, yet when the masked man uttered those words, he flung a scalpel at him without second thought. Luckily for him, it imbedded itself in the wall next to Avallac'h. The masked man attempted to get up, but before he could even lift himself, Marcus was already pressing the barrel of his pistol against Avallac'h's forehead, the mask acting as a weak buffer zone.

"Who sent you?" His voice was laced with venom.

"We are here of our own voli-"

"Bull-fuckin'-shit, two people in the middle of scenic nowhere, one of which is conveniently injured, what a load." The muzzle was shoved deeper into the mask.

"I understand your concern, but I can assure you that neither of us wish to harm you. I just need you to help her, please." Avallac'h pleaded, his voice wavering for a second.

Marcus held the gun to his head still, not willing to back down for a second. He steadied his breathing, and closed his eyes, the world around him blending into the same shade of blue that indicated that he activated his 'Eagle Vision', a parting gift from the Isu that lay dormant in his genes until he was 11. When his eyes opened, he saw the bright aura radiating off the man, revealing he was indeed a ally. He turned to face the woman, Cirilla, and his eyelids fluttered at the blinding gold aura she expelled, seems like he was being truthful. Marcus slowly lowered his gun.