Chapter 1. The beginning

- Washington DC, Januari -

Lennox ditched his car. The air outside is unseasonably cold but all he feels is heat. Marching over to the gate, soldiers immediately let him pass and opened the door for him. In a rush, he passes the soldiers trying to get the majors' attention. He takes the stairs, heading for the meeting room. A riot broke out in his stomach and even for a trained soldier, his chest was burning from sprinting and rushing.

He pushed the door of the meeting open. Among the chaos and talking Autobots, he spotted Epps and quickly walked up to him. "How bad is it?" he asked in a whisper near his ear. Epps gave a brief shake of his head, his face already told Lennox what he had hoped for wouldn't be true. Taking a deep breath, he turned to look at the large group in the meeting room. They all became quiet after a couple of minutes. "It's even worse than we thought..." Jazz began and looked at Optimus besides him.

It had only been two hours since the Decepticons attacked a highly advanced military area in Florida. An area that shouldn't have any trouble keeping the Decepticons out. After all, that's what it was designed for, but having seen the photos, the entire base was gone. Exploded and left a gaping gap in the earth, some small fires but mostly sea water filling the large gap. So many things could go wrong, but Lennox never imagined this would be one of the problems he had to face. Over the last ten years, important weapons, relics and energon were stored in the highly advanced base, designed by the Autobots themselves to keep their relics, weapons and Energon safe and stored for when they need it.

"Is it clear what they were after?" I asked. There fell a silence among the Autobots and Lennox knew they didn't have a clue either. "It could be the Energon, but there are so many energon mines in this country, it's hard to believe they were after the Energon and the relics, they don't know how to activate most of them and the weapons, they create their own weapons. We don't believe they would steal human technology," Optimus eventually replied. "We actually think they were after data... unless something is stored there we don't know about," Prowl finished.

"No, at least, I don't know about it," Lennox replied and sat on the edge of a small table behind him against the wall. "Can you track the Decepticons who attacked the base?" Lennox eventually asked. "I have tried, but they must have planned this very well. I am not able to track down any Decepticons, so either they have had help from humans, or they became really good at stealing," Dino replied and got up. "Jazz and I can go to the area, have a look around and maybe find something useful," he offered. "Isn't that dangerous?" he asked. "Probably not, the area is destroyed, nothing is left for the Decepticons there so why would they come back? Besides, I am sure I am able to defend myself," Dino replied smugly.

Lennox uttered a deep sigh and a grunt before he got up and looked at Prime. "What do you suggest?"
"I agree with Mirage. I don't think the Decepticons will come back and we need to find out why they attacked the base if they weren't after relics or Energon. I think data, since there was an isolated building full with stored data from sector 7, Prowl and I will try to see if we can find something useful there, in the meantime, I will double the patrols around Washington DC. If they didn't get what they needed, they might try to attack Washington DC. We need to prevent that."

Lennox nodded and straightened his back, running his hand through his hair. "Earth had a lot of mysteries we don't know about, perhaps there's something... the Decepticons know about and we don't," Optimus stated as he got up and walked over to the door to leave along with Prowl. Lennox let his eyes fall over the room before he noticed someone wasn't present. "Will you inform Sunstreaker as well? He's not here," Lennox asked. "He doesn't like the business, but he knows. I told him," Prowl said. "You think I can have a word with him without getting killed?"

"He's in a quite good mood lately, I will send him your way," Optimus added before both men left. Lennox dismissed the others and returned towards his office,–– sitting down behind his desk. His peace was interrupted as there was a knock on the door. Sunstreaker strode in, shutting the door behind him. Lennox took a brief moment to study his state, like Prime had told him earlier, he seemed to be in a quite good mood. Although his grumpy expression was still there, Lennox didn't spot any sign of aggression. Sunstreaker's guns and eight inch long knife peacefully sitting in his leg holster. Exactly what Lennox had hoped to see.

Sunstreaker smoothed his gray hoodie and leather jacket down before he sat down. "What was it you'd like to talk about?" he asked smugly. The icy blue eyes of the warrior pierced straight through Lennox's soul. "Your opinion..." Lennox replied, folding his hands. The hairs in the back of Lennox's neck stood straight up as Sunstreaker uttered a cold psychotic chuckle,–– eyes darkening dangerously. "I think you already know my opinion, but if you'd like to know... I have been patrolling around the base a lot, nothing happened. You know I was assigned to protect the base so I think it's a little suspicious I was called back to base. Why did I get that order? Not even two days later... The base is not only robbed but completely gone. Vanished off the map, so I actually like to hear your opinion! Why did I get the order to come back? What changed!" he snapped.

"It wasn't my call, Sunstreaker. You were called back because nothing seemed to be wrong. No Decepticon activity for nearly a year and you have been roaming around the area long enough. We haven't seen you for nearly half a year," Lennox snorted. Sunstreaker smugly shrugged his shoulders, "didn't bother me. I could do whatever I wanted, no humans nor fellow Autobots bothering me all the time. It was like a dream and definitely didn't help to get me in a better mood," Sunstreaker muttered irritably. "Really? You seem quite relaxed now among the chaos..."

A risky comment and Lennox wasn't sure how the yellow twin would react. "Are you accusing me of something, human?" Sunstreaker sneered. "No, I am not accusing you of anything, Sunstreaker. I am just pointing out facts," he replied. The yellow twin snorted, rolling his eyes and got up. "I am done here," he muttered. "People fear me, if you never called me back, none of this would have happened!" "I wish I could believe you in that, Sunstreaker, but the Decepticons must have planned this months ago. Even with having you in Florida, they would have attacked."

"I am a champion! Everyone fears me and so do the Decepticons. Especially the Decepticons and it's not my ego acting up here! You know it, everyone knows it!" he snapped. Unfortunately, Lennox knew he was right. The ones who don't fear or underestimate him are dead, killed by Sunstreaker. The fact Sunstreaker doesn't bluff had shocked and horrified Lennox at the very beginning, but now he got to know Sunstreaker a little better, he gained respect for the warrior, despite having killed some of his men.