Afterbirth

Lena Ming stood at her kitchen window watching the animal deconstruct Michael's house for another night. It seemed random at first ,the beast would wake and destroy, sleep and demolish. It was endless. It's been a total of four nights that Lena would casually observe this blooming idiot search for someone who isn't even there.

Mona seemed to enjoy it too. The suffering of Michael's house made Lena promote her to a whole new level of useless and to simply put it , idiotic. Maybe she was a little slow (Mona, she means) it seemed only reasonable now to release the demon babies and tell the sun to go away until we're all eaten and bloodied , but she seemed hell-bent on finding Michael ( who Lena guessed to be somewhere doing something useful, half naked). The endless boredom she felt, TV couldn't even help her and she found it rather amusing, but lately the smiling faces of Davy made her miss Michael's off timed laughter and loud laugh. The occasional head scratch, the sniffing coffee and the way he rambled about his ex-wife amused her to no end.

Her life wasn't exactly as happy as she thought it was. Coming to this town was supposed to be a way of relaxing before giving birth. Her father thought it was a good idea when she proposed it and her mother didn't disagree, her sister felt she was being dumb by running off with the babe but Lena felt she needed a little bit of space before welcoming a baby into the world.
Was she wrong to want that? She never asked for much in this life, she guessed in her last life she never had to beg for anything either.

The father had died. Of the baby she meant. It was quite peculiar. One moment he was home making her microwave lasagna and the next he was being pulled out of his car and put on life support. He didn't make it obviously but Lena managed and now found herself as the main character in a science fiction novel ( well not really science fiction , it's more along the line of a poorly executed plan by a couple of crazy giants who are all scared of a man who doesn't wear pants and sniffs his coffee).

So maybe she couldn't really help herself and joined Michael for the adrenaline and the exercise.

"Where exactly are you Michael?"
"I'm over here."
Lena shot up and screamed. Her hands went up to her face as she jumped.

"Michael?"
"Lena?"

It was him. She never knew anyone else who would put so much sarcasm into a mimic until she met him. He stood in his jeans, his eyes ran wildly across her kitchen and he scratched his head. It couldn't be him could it. She had seen him vanish and most definitely saw him glow to challenge the nearest star.

"It wasn't that bad was it? I made sure to come quickly but the Allfather has a flare for the dramatics which he doesn't like to admit, it's actually quite funny since - no wait , there was this woman Lena, ghastly she was, no eyes but she-"
He was cut off by the sudden weight against him, Lena wrapped her arms around him and rubbed his back , an occasional pat on his head, he smiled and hugged her back.

He pulled away first and looked down at her.

"I wasn't gone for too long."
"I know. I just miss you that's all."
She smiled and put the kettle on. He smiled back and sat down at her table, watching her navigate through the kitchen for the coffee and sugar. She was large, her jersey couldn't hide it and he feared she would deliver during this mess.

"She blinked?" She looked at him expectantly.
"Yes. This creepy woman, no eyes at all, decided to blink. Of all the things."

"I'm sure she had a reason."
"Of course, maybe there was dust?"

She shook her head and Michael involuntarily shivered thinking back to the woman's lack of eyes and her blinking purpose.

"I'm sure it wasn't that bad. Oh! Michael there seems to be a constant visitor, he keeps looking for you."
Michael stood up, coffee in hand and moved to the kitchen window, where he could see his TV fly through the window and decorate Mona's rose bushes. He whistled as Mona came storming out and shouting from her porch at the now quiet beast.

"Do you think it has a leash?"
"Excuse me ?"
Lena looked him up and down and raised her hand to hit him.

"I meant the beast. It has to have some type of sleep spell. Like in Harry Potter. With the three-headed dog? I don't remember."

She shook her head at him and returned to watching Mona furiously poor at her garden and mimic the amount of effort she put into them. Poor woman.

"I'm sure there is. What about phase two, the children?"
He sniffed and gulped his coffee. He could hear their screams continuously ringing in his ears, the smell of the mountains reviving his senses once again.

"We have to prepare for phase three. The war is next."