Chapter 50: Tam

I was pacing through the Foster's living room, when it cut through. 

Sophie's voice. 

I started and gasped. Everyone stared at me, and Keefe's broken voice cut through the sickening silence. 

"What? Bangs Boy, WHAT?" 

I rubbed my fingers to my head straining to hear her voice. 

Tam?

Sophie?

Yes! Yes, Tam it's me!

Is Biana ok? Where are you? Why didn't you reach out before? Who took you?

I don't know where we are-but we're underground, I didn't reach out before because of a layer of thin crystal coating the walls that makes it impossible to transmit, but I broke through out of sheer desperation, and remember the man from when Megan and Nathen were born?

Yes. 

It was him.

I growled. Really? That man again?

Biana. Biana, is she ok? Please tell me Sophie.

A long pause, and Sophie didn't respond for a minute. Then her voice cut through the deafening silence and shadows in my head. 

I'm sorry Tam. 

I froze. My eyes glazed over as I looked at Kaitlynn, who looked just like her mother. But was her mother gone? I stared at Della and Alden, Mom and Dad. The hopeful look in their eyes shattered me, and I looked over at Kaitlynn again. 

Tam-I-I can't-the crystals-

Then her voice stopped. Silence. I picked up the vase next to me and threw it against the wall, breaking it into a million pieces. I buried face in my hands and sobbed.