Chapter Three : Onus

Chapter 3: Onus

Colorado, December, 1883

Snow piled sixteen inches high on the northern border of Colorado and New Mexico. The snow made for an eerily quiet landscape, devoid of life as the large bear and wild boars were hunkered down in underground dens and burrows, and the deer and elk awaited the thaw to graze on what little vegetation remained. The cold was unforgiving, as it was among the harshest winters the American southwest has ever seen. It had been two weeks since Juliette fled her home. She sat hunkered down at an old abandoned church, with only two walls and a partial roof remaining. It was just enough to keep the snow off of her, but she felt every bit of the stabbing cold. She was able to make a fire, though small and composed of only smaller sticks and peices of bark.

With all of her food gone, she did not have the energy to search for more firewood. She sat on her makeshift fur coat bed, tightly curled up with her knees to her chest. Her teeth chattered and her body shivered. She could feel her bones ache from the rigor of her body. Her horse Murdoc stood nearby, also feeling the harsh cold of the dead winter. She had used the last of her fresh food to care for the horse, who was becoming thinner and lethargic. Some nights she slept on Murdoc, sharing the body heat to warm the animal.

With no food and minimal warmth, Juliette would surely die. The light from the fire fickered gently onto her pale and dirty face. She began to question her decision to leave. She wondered if her parents were watching over her, or if they were teaching her a hard lesson. After some time, Juliette found the strength to stand and pack up her belongings. Murdoc was weak, too weak to ride. With her camp packed up, she lead Murdoc through the snow, which created a shimmering blanket over the frozen ground. Though the middle of the night, the snow made a curtain of bright white that lightly illuminted the wilderness.Juliette paused for a moment, wondering which direction she was heading, or even should begin to head. She felt so lost and helpless, hanging her head down to the snow. With a deep exhale, she look closely at the powdery snow. She could see faint horse tracks leading to the south. She looked behind her at Murdoc, trying to determine of they were her horse's tracks. She noticed a second row, indicating that several horses passed through the area. Juliette gave a pat to Murdoc's head, and a gentle shush. "Come on boy, I think we have a chance," she whispered, making her way through the downfall of snow.

Several hours had passed, and a hungry and tired Juliette pushed on, Through her snow-covered eyelids, she noticed the faint light from lanterns, and faint sounds of laughter and music. Looking over the embankment, she could see more clearly that it was a camp. Other than overlapping, faint voices, there was no way of knowing how many people were there, or what kind of camp it was. During the past week since her food had run out, Juliette has stolen before, bits of bread from a bakery, carrots and apples from a stable, and a few dollars from unnatended baggage at the train station, but this time she needed food desperately, and may not have another chance. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on the lively sounds from the camp. A few indistinct words and laughter could be heard, several men and women. She felt somewhat better hearing the voices of women, as she concluded she would likely be in less danger from adult male strangers with more level-headed women about.

Juliette turned her attention to her horse, petting him gently. "Okay, boy. Stay here, hopefully I'll be back soon," she said quietly. Murdoc whinnied and stomped his right front hoof, quickly being shushed by Juliette. Keeping herself low, and covered mostly by her fur coat, she slowly eased herself down the steep and slipperly embankment, closer to the light and noise of the camp. As the voices got louder and more distinct,

Juliette began to hold her breath as she manuvered out of veiw of the lanterns and light from the campfires. She waited behind a series of trees for a time, knowing it was late and the inhabitants would be tucked away inside the tents and bedrolls. She kept watch as several men and women retired to their tents, leaving only two men on guard. Once in position, the sillhouettes of the men stayed still, clutching their rifles. Julliete stood motionless, scanning the camp for supplies. She noticed a large green wagon with boxes stacked nearly five feet high with dry goods and food. Also nearby was a barrel full of apples, peaches, and plums. Neither of the men appeared to be gaurding the food, more focused on the munitions and the tents. Tucking herself down, Juliette used her elbows and forearms to drag herself forward to the green wagon, leaving drag marks throughout the snow. As she gave a quick glance around her and seeing nothing, she quietly began to load the supplies into her bag.