Chapter Five: Fortune Favors The Bold

Several days passed, and all was quiet at camp. The temperature had dropped a few degrees, and a cool breeze blew through Nebraska, which was welcomed due to the normal heat of the early summer.
The camp was just as lively as usual, with everyone up to their typical chores and hobbies.

The events of three days prior in Campbell left Juliette with a new sense of confidence. She sat at the munitions tent and was hard at work cleaning rifles and pistols. Eleanor sat behind her, brushing her long red hair into a braid, occasionally leaning forward to watch Juliette clean the weapons.
Judah emerged from his tent, wearing a nice set of black trousers, a burgundy colored silk shirt and black pattered vest. He greased his hair back and had washed recently. He walked over to the women with a cigar in his mouth and two glasses of scotch in his hands.

Juliette and Eleanor smiled at Judah, and greeted him with a wave. He held out a glass of scotch to Juliette, who obliged.

Judah removed the cigar from his mouth and took a sip of scotch. He held the cigar and glass in the same hand, while resting the other on his gun belt. He lifted his face into the sunshine and breathed in deeply.

"How are you doing over here, ladies? It's...it's a nice day. A very nice day. I feel like I can breathe again." He said.

"We are gettin' on just fine, thank you. It is a lovely day. Juliette wanted her hair done, and quite frankly I can't get enough of her red hair. She was showing me how to clean and oil guns ," Eleanor replied.

"That's good. This...this is what it's about. Everyone getting along. We are a family. And Eleanor, thank you for that little lead you found us in Campbell. We are ready to go on that later this afternoon," he said, shooting a quick smile at Juliette. "Just enjoy the day for now," he continued, putting the cigar into his mouth. He held his scotch with one hand, and fumbled through his pockets with the other.
After finishing up Juliette's braid, Eleanor reached between her corset and shirt and pulled out a small box of matches. She struck it against the heel of her shoe and held it up to Judah.
He leaned forward and drew slowly on the cigar until it lit.

"Thank you," he said as he turned around, holding up one hand to say goodbye.

Juliette turned to Eleanor, who had began to brush her own hair, and shot her a look. Eleanor noticed Juliette's confusion, and tilted her head with concern.
"What is it, Juliette?" She asked.

"Nothing..It's just that I guess I never knew you smoked," she replied.

Eleanor chuckled to herself. "I suppose you wouldn't. I keep it pretty hidden."

"You just seem so proper. And you keep everything hidden. Hell you barely talk to anybody. I probably wouldn't have known your name if Judah hadn't told me," Juliette joked.

"Yes, I suppose. I don't mean to be secretive. I guess I just get lost in my own little world. I ain't better than anyone, please don't think that," she said, looking down to the dirt.

"No, it's not that. I...I just wish I knew more about you. I enjoy spending time with you. You and Anna helped me a lot these past three years when I was figuring things out about being a woman. I just feel like I know the least about the woman who took the most care of me," she answered.

"Oh, well...I suppose so. What would you like to know?", asked Eleanor.

Juliette sipped her scotch. "You only have to tell me what you feel comfortable. I mean, where are you from? "

"Virginia, originally. My mother is Danish, and my father is French. She was a seamstress and he worked for a bank. They both came from Europe. My sisters and I are first generation.
I lived in California, before I found a home here. My husband, Caleb, he was from there," she said.