Chapter Two

"When do you leave?" Nym asked while moving the berries from one side of her plate to the other with her fork.

"Why?" Syra asked ignoring her breakfast altogether and instead choosing to pour herself a goblet of wine.

"I was only asking."

"In a rush to see me go?"

"No."

"Then why do you care?"

"Because I care," Nym scrunched her face and stabbed aggressively at a berry that eluded her fork and fled from her plate onto the tabletop.

"Why?" Syra asked before bringing the goblet to her lips for a long drink.

She held her hand open under her chin to catch any droplets that might find their way onto her dress.

She drank thirstily and poured another.

"It is too early to drink like that," Nym said under her breath.

"Why do you care?"

"You know what?" Nym shot up out of her seat.

"What?" Syra put extra tuh on the T.

Nym didn't really know where to go from here. She wasn't even sure why she was standing other than she was angry and just did it.

"Nothing," she said, "I am not hungry. I will excuse myself."

"Sit down."

"I am not hungry." Nym pushed in her seat and left the table.

Syra finished her drink, began to pour another.

"Sit. Down. I am not asking you."

Nym froze mid step.

Her foot hovered in the air for a moment before she brought it back to the floor.

Syras' tone triggered a response of fight or flight but Nym was prepared to do little more than stand there and make a valiant attempt to think of something clever.

"Are you going to say something cute?" Syra asked while finishing another goblet.

"Go ahead. Say something cute. I will wait."

"You're being mean."

"You're being mean," Syra mocked.

"Stop!"

"Stop."

"You're acting like him."

Syra contemplated throwing the empty goblet at her back. Nym would make for a small target, but she was close.

At this distance...

What am I doing? I'm being hateful. That's what I'm doing.

She was angry. She was drinking and she was being unfair.

This isn't her fault. None of this is her .......is she wearing my things?

"Come, my love." Syra came back to the moment. "Come sit with me and finish your breakfast. I was being unfair."

"You were being mean. Calling it something else doesn't make it different."

"I was being mean." Syra admitted. "And I am sorry. Please, come sit with me."

Nym turned, ready to duck anything that might be sent flying in her direction but Syra wore an apologetic smile and patted the empty seat next to her.