Chapter 8

Alfie was planning his retirement. He was waiting until their wedding day to leave his life of crime behind. Even then, Shirley wasn't sure if he could entirely let it go. After all, it had been a part of him for so long, so she had her doubts. She didn't mention any of these thoughts to him. For the most part, she didn't bother him, not wanting to nag.

The day of their trip came, and Alfie made arrangements with Ollie to run the business while he was gone. Abraham drove them to the docks, helping Shirley with her bags. She only had two. Shirley didn't bring much more with her to England. After all, she left in such a hurry that everything materialistic stayed behind.

Alfie showed their tickets to one of the officers, and they let them on board. Immediately, they went looking for their room so they could start settling in. Unfortunately, Alfie forced her to share a room with him despite her adamant argument that they should sleep in separate rooms to avoid temptation.

Alfie would argue back saying he didn't trust the men running this ship. During The Great War, he was a Captain and knew a considerable amount about what men would do when they haven't been with a woman in a while. Especially one as pretty as Shirley.

Alfie laid their bags down, and she sprawled out across her bed. When she bought the tickets, she purchased a second-class cabin. It wasn't too expensive, and it was perfect for them: two beds, closet space, a sink, a shower down the hall. There was no need for them to need anything else.

On the ship, she met many families staying in the second class level. She'd be lying if she didn't feel a pang of jealousy in her chest when she saw young mothers holding their children. She desperately wanted that for her and Alfie. Realizing they haven't talked about it yet, she took this week-long opportunity to ask him his thoughts. After all, they were getting married.

"What do you think about having children, Alfie?" She suddenly asked as her head laid against his shoulder one afternoon.

He stood quiet for a while, thinking hard. At first, Shirley figured he might not have heard her, but when she looked up and saw his face, she realized he had.

"Don't know if I'd be good at something like that. Never really had a dad growing up."

"I don't know much about your childhood, but we don't have to make the same mistakes as our parents. We can do better and teach our kids better."

"I'll make you a deal," he said suddenly. Shirley giggled and hugged him closer.

"Oh yeah, what?"

"You marry me, yeah, make me the happiest man in the world, even if I don't deserve it, and I will try my best in my condition to bless you with as many children as you can handle."

"How can I refuse such a tempting offer?"

"You can't, love, that's the point."

"I love you, Alfie Solomons."

"And I, you."