Chapter 13

April 30th was Shirley's 25th birthday. It would always roll around just after Passover. Now that Shirley was in Camden, she no longer felt a reason to celebrate. It was just her and Alfie, after all. With the wedding in half a month, she felt more rush to get things done than planning her birthday. It felt more important.

They had both decided a small wedding would be best to keep a low profile. The only people invited were her parents, her brothers, and other close family. It took a lot to convince Alfie to send the invite to her father after smacking her last time.

Shirley was going over the notes she took in a meeting when the telephone on his desk rang, interrupting her train of thought. She picked it up, only to hear her mother's voice.

"Hello, darling. Happy birthday."

"Aw, ma, is that you?"

"Yes, you're brothers are here too. They wanted to say hello."

She could hear them yelling in the background, telling her happy birthday and whatnot.

"You really didn't have to, ma."

"Nonsense. You're twenty-five today, and you're getting married soon."

Her brothers were yelling things about wanting to meet her fiance and saying something about "kicking his ass" if he hurt her. She chuckled at their foolishness.

"Is Alfie there?" her mother asked.

"Yes, would you like to speak to him?"

She passed the telephone to Alfie, who sat there focused on the paperwork he was going over. He looked up, confused but took it anyway. He let out an irritated grunt and then softened when he heard her mother's voice.

"Yeah, oh, it is now? Really? She never told me no. Ok, yes, I'll make sure to do that."

He set the phone down and stared at Shirley disapprovingly.

"Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?"

"I don't want to trouble you. The wedding is so close now. We should work on that."

"Your mum was right. You're a stubborn, silly girl. I ought to give you a spanking."

Alfie stood up and chased her around the room, grabbing her by the waist and flinging her around. His hand gripped her backside, and she let out a yelp. She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him in for a kiss.

"What do you want for your birthday, hmm?"

"Just you. That's all I need. Clothes on my back, a place to live, and your company."

"I'd smack you right on the arse if you weren't so damn beautiful."

She let her head rest on his chest as he held her close by the waist.

"We're taking the rest of the day off. Come on, grab your bag." Alfie pulled her by the arm.

"Alfie, it's okay. You really don't have to."

"What kind of a man would I be if I didn't celebrate my woman's birthday?"

She smiled and gave in, grabbing her bag and following him outside. He had Abraham bring out the car, and they got in.

"So, where are we going, baby?" she asked him.

"'s a surprise, love."

They arrived at a theater. It wasn't as large as the ones they had back in New York, but it was substantial nonetheless. Alfie took her to the staff member in charge of selling tickets and ordered two for the movie Calvary.

Alfie bought them popcorn from the vendor, and they sat down to watch it. Hardly anyone was in the theater. There were only three other couples here. Alfie wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in close. She enjoyed these moments with him before their wedding. It made her feel special.

About thirty minutes into the movie, she felt Alfie's hand go limp, and she looked at him. He was knocked out cold. She chuckled and slowly covered him with her sweater to not wake him.

A kissing scene came on, and Shirley blushed. It was so foreign to her to think about kissing someone you weren't in love with just for the heck of it, especially kissing another man's wife, which seemed like an absolute sin to her.

She watched the rest of the film, judging the moral of the story critically. When the lights turned back on, she pecked Alfie's lips to get him to wake up. He opened his eyes slowly and groaned as they were still adjusting to the brightness of the room.

"Wake up, sleepyhead." She whispered into his ear.

He pulled her into his chest suddenly, pressing her head against his chest.

"I'm sorry I slept through your birthday present, but it was God-awful boring."

"It wasn't that bad. There were some kissing scenes." she flirted.

"Oh yeah? Let's go home and reenact them."

"You silly man." she scolded him.

They exited the theater late at night, but she felt safe in his arms.

"I've got one more present for you, love."

He had Abraham drive them to a museum. Confused why they were there at such a late hour, she spoke up.

"What are we doing here? It's closed."

"I know the owners," he explained.

He led her inside, where fine pieces of artwork lined the walls along with statues and sculptures placed neatly along the pathway. Inside, he led her to a room and told her to wait there while he talked to the man that owned the place. She was alone, and it was dead silent. Abraham was waiting by the car, so no one was there to keep her company.

Alfie returned a few moments later with a scared man following closely behind him.

"Alright, love, pick out any five pieces of art, and we'll put them in our new house."

"Alfie, you can't be serious." her face dropped.

"Serious as a fucking heart attack."

"How could you possibly afford anything in this room?"

"That's where this fine gentleman comes in." he gestured to the man trembling behind him.

"Alfie, did you threaten him?"

"Heavens no. He owes me a favor."

Shirley reluctantly looked at the man, who avoided eye contact with her.

"If you threatened him, Alfie, I swear-" he cut her off.

"Just enjoy your birthday, love." he smiled at her.

She reluctantly chose five pieces of artwork she thought would fit perfectly in their house. With five in total, she chose two for the living room, one for the master bedroom, and another two for the guest rooms. She considered a painting that looked like Michelangelo's work but decided not to after all. Trying to be considerate of the man, she would ask him the artist's name, and if she decided their work would be too expensive, she would put it back.

Now, with five paintings in her possession, Alfie had them stored in a back room to be transported to their house on a later date.

"Thank you, Alfie. I had fun tonight,"

Without saying anything, he pulled her by her hips and kissed her passionately on the doorstep. Alfie pressed her back against the door and held her there, sliding his hands over her womanly curves. She gently placed her hands on his chest and pushed, letting him know she didn't want it to go any further.

"Only two weeks left until we're married." she gasped as she pulled away.

"You'll make me the happiest man in the world, even if I don't deserve it."