Chapter 9

After a week on the boat, they finally arrived in New York. As many call it, the city never sleeps, and Shirley had many sleepless nights here in this city she was hoping to forget.

Before coming, she called her mother, explaining everything. Why the blind date didn't work out and how she was now engaged on such short notice. Shirley was going to book a hotel, but her mother insisted on them staying at her house so that she could keep a close eye on them.

She was so busy getting everything to get to her ma's house that she barely noticed Alfie looked like a fish out of water. He'd never been to America before, let alone such a crowded city like New York.

"You don't have to be nervous. My ma won't bite."

"Nervous? No, I couldn't possibly be."

"Look, baby, it's going to be another twenty minutes or so until we arrive at my ma's house, and I have something you should know to settle your nerves," she said quietly, not to bother the taxi driver, too much. "I love my pa. I really do, but he did something unforgivable to my ma. It matters more to me that you get her to like you. If he doesn't accept, then I can't help him. I'll marry you anyway. You're lucky my ma is the most forgiving woman on this planet. Not many people could forgive the way she did after everything my father put through."

"What did he do? Did he lay his hands on her?"

She cleared her throat. She didn't mind telling Alfie; she just didn't want to say it in front of the driver.

"No, but he had an affair with a woman and had another child. A girl."

"So you're not the only girl?"

"Of course I am!" she snapped. "I know I should be a mature adult, but under no circumstances do I consider that child to be a part of my bloodline."

"How old is she?"

"I don't keep track, but she should be about..." she thought about it. "Nine or so."

He was right. Even though Siena was the direct result of sin, it wasn't her fault. Shirley didn't hate her; she just hates her mother and, more than her, her father.

They arrived at her parent's house in roughly the time she estimated. When Shirley lived in New York, her father lived here half of the month and the other half with his mistress. Now that her mother's children were all grown up and moved out, she wasn't sure what the living arrangements were anymore.

Shirley's hand shook as she was about to knock on the door. Thinking about that day she left for London. Her mother cried as she watched her board the ship but never begged her not to go. She felt guilty for leaving but did it anyway. She had to, for her.

"What's wrong, love?"

"Nothing," she whispered.

Neither of them ended up knocking; her mother saw them approach and went downstairs to open the door. Her face was as bright and healthy as ever. Her brown hair started to turn gray, but Shirley had never seen anyone so beautiful. It was a blessing to grow old. She wished to do the same with Alfie.

"Hi, ma." she smiled. Her mother threw her arms around her only daughter, kissing her face like she hasn't seen her in years.

"Come inside, hurry. You'll catch your death." she scolded them, smiling wider than ever.

It was freezing outside, even though it was only starting to snow. As soon as the door closed, Shirley's mother clutched her tight and kissed her face endlessly, making Shirley giggle.

"I've missed you, silly girl." she chuckled then turned to look at Alfie. "And you must be Alfie."

"Eh, you'd be correct."