Part One

Prologue:
"You don't have to choose."

"When the steam clears, only the stronger of us will be left. I can't promise you that's me."

These were the parting words of Alexander Hamilton and John Laurens when Alex was leaving to face his brother. But this is not how the story started, no, it started with Alex being saved from the evil Roslind and being recuted to join General Washington's elemental training. His roommate, Marquise De Laffayette, took him under his wing. Eventually Alex told Laf and his friends Hercules Mulligan and John Laurens the secrets he kept burried. But whith false friends and conieving family members it could only last so long, even if Alex and John did fall in love.

Maybe, though, maybe they can have a happily ever after afterall. The only catch: They first have to fight a war against all their demons and come out on top. It will be no easy feat, but maybe love pervails for real sometimes anyway. Who knows?

***Tigger Warnings***
Abuse, mention of s***ide, betrayal, gayness and angst

(Fire fairy Alex, light fairies Laf and Angelica, earth fairies Peggy and Herc, water fairies John and Eliza, witches Maria, Jefferson and Burr)

"Welcome to the element school, Alexander. Since your a fire fairy, I'm going to have you room with a light fairy. He's one of the nicest boys in the school, I promise you'll be just fine." General Washington assured Alexander gently touching his shoulder.

"W-what's his name?" Alex asked queitly, looking at the ground.

"Marquise De Laffayette, but he goes by Laffayette. Do you want to meet him?" The general asked, rubbing the hand Alex's shoulder gently. Alex nodded, still unable to look up from the floor. "I'll go get him. You can stay in here and sit down." With that, the general walked away and Alexander sat back down infront of his desk and rubbed a bruise on his left arm. Even when he was alone he wouldn't cry. Not any more. As much as he wanted to, over James, over his mother, over the hurricane, over his cousin, over everything that had happened since his dad left, but he wouldn't. Couldn't. Not any more. He never cried anymore.

He sat there, softly twiddling his thumbs and looking at the floor. He sat there like that for about ten minutes trying to keep his mind and his face blank. Eventually, after ten minutes, the general reappeared in the door.

"Alex, I have three people I'd like you to meet actually. If that's okay," He added the end on quickly and Alex only nodded again, his eyes looked even blanker than they had when he'd been escorted into the office. "Boys, you can come in." The general said to the door and three boys walked into the room. A tall blonde with blue eyes, a slightly short brown-haired and eyed with freckles and a medium height boy with a buzz cut and a tie tied around his head. "This is John Laurens, Marquis De Laffayette and Hercules Mulligan." The general said, pointing to blue-eyes, freckles and buzz-cut in turn. "And this, boys, is Alexander Hamilton." He smiled at the three boys that had walked into the room as they gave the small red-head infront of them sympathetic looks.

"Hey!" Laffayette said in French accent. "I heard we're gonna be roomies. So, you can call me Laf if you want. I'm eighteen by the way." He smiled and held his hand out to his new roommate. The kid infront of him looked at him slightly fearfully and took his hand so gently he was barely touching it.

"Alexander." He responded, his voice barely above a whisper. He was looking up now, not at anyone though. The others could see his freckles and purple eyes along with his curly red hair. "You can call me Alex, if you want to. I'm seventeen." He pulled his hand away and placed it back on his lap. He hand't stood to match everyone else in the room.

Hercules stepped forward next. "Hey, pal! I'm Hercules but everyone calls me Herc!" He smiled, but his voice was loud andAlex flinched away, his eyes closing for a moment before reopening.

"A-alex.." Alexander responded even quieter than before. John Laurens sighed and gently pushed his friend aside. He crouched down so he wasn't so far above the poor kid that was sitting in front of all of them. He looked terrified and from what the general had told them, John didn't blame him.

"I'm John, pretty much everyone calls me John but you can give me a nickname if ya want. I'm sorry if Herc scared you, this isn't really his thing." John said and smiled a bit. Alex forced a little smile back, but it didn't look natural even though no one in the room knew him well. "Oh, and I'm nineteen." John added. Alex nodded.

"Why don't you three take Alex on a tour? If you need anything, Alex, you know where to find me." General Washington smiled at the small, scared boy in his office as he left with three of the academy's best students.

For most of the tour Alex didn't say much, just the occasional barely audible question or a mumble of understanding. John felt bad, the poor boy looked so broken and that was without knowing everything that had happened. Laf felt bad too, he could tell his new roommate had things he needed to deal with and he could tell he wasn't used to having friends. Laf and the boys wanted to change that. Herc felt bad too, mainly because he was still quilty for scaring him. Alex was just trying not to let them in on anything. He was used to only trusting two people in the world: Himself anf his older brother James who was nineteen. When Alex got taken away from Roslind he had had no choice but leave James behind, he told him to, but the guilt had been with Alex since he'd done it.

"Well, this is the last stop on the tour." Laf annouced. "Our dorm." He said stopping infront of a door. "That-" he pointed to the next door on the left "-is Herc and John's dorm. If you ever need to find us and we're not in our dorm, check there." With that, the boys split into pairs, Alexander and Laffayette and John and Hercules. The former went into their dorm and the latter theirs.

Alex and Laf put on their pajamas, Laf shutting off the lights and falling right to sleep and Alex finally letting his emotion show on his face as he thought about his brother. He cutched the compass necklace that matched his brother's and muttered a quiet "I love you" before he allowed his tiredness from his long day to take over and he fell asleep.

In Herc and John's dorm the night did not take over so quickly.

"That kid's deffinately got problems.." Herc said to John, who sighed.

"The 'kid's name is Alex, but yeah. It'd probably do him some good if he weren't so closed off." John said and sighed again.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way, John. I want to help him too." Herc said and John nodded.

"I hope he'll let us." John said.

Little did the boys know, that night was just the begining.