Two Kilometers Per Hour

The cool morning air smells sweeter today. The sleepy weight in his legs feels a little lighter.

It's payday.

Edgar walks through the gates of Starr Park thinking of Clans of Clash gems. Or maybe he shouldn't spend his money on games this time. He can't think of anything else he wants, though. He pushes on the gift shop door to no avail before bringing out his keys.

Huh, Colette's not here yet. Guess he could start restocking early.

He turns on the air conditioner and takes out boxes from the storage room. Beanies, tumblers, t-shirts, plushies. The room is quiet as he fills the racks and shelves.

"It starts with one thing, I don't know why, it doesn't even matter how hard you try," he softly sings. Does he really need gems in Clans of Clash right now? He's actually been pretty well-off lately. Maybe just a small pack, for the dark elixir pump upgrades. And then he could look at that Cool Obsidian Black nail polish shade Emz recommended, for a change. His Cold Obsidian Black bottle is almost out anyway.

He wiggles a Squeak tumbler in his hand before placing it on the shelf. If he had one of those, he'd fill it with Monster.

"Not that you knew me back then, but it all comes back to me in. The. End," He grimaces at a Spike t-shirt before hanging it up.

He wants to bet there's been at least one kid traumatized by that hollow, creepy face.

In any case, he's glad with his Clans of Clash base. A bunch of players even failed their raids on him last night. That always brought a smile to his face. Soon enough, he should reach the next Town Hall level.

"I put my trust, in you, pushed as far as I can go," he mumbles, "for all this, there's only one thing you should know..." He inhales.

"RAWR!"

"GRAAAAAAAAAH!" Edgar screams. He looks to see Colette's gleeful face behind him.

"Hahahaha, I'm sorry!" She laughs.

"God! I never should've come early!"

"Noooo, It was very nice of you to do that," Colette giggles, holding a drooping sleeve end over her mouth. Edgar huffs, picking up the hanger he dropped.

"No. How were you so quiet?"

"I'm sneaky. Like a fox. Grrr." She looks around the room. "What else is left?"

"Uh, you can stock the plushies. And the pens and bags."

"Okiee."

They stock the room in relative silence. The sunshine pads across the floor and they end up behind the counter when they're done.

"You have any idea what you wanna buy with payday money?" Edgar asks.

"Oh, yes! Look at what I'm gonna order tonight!" Colette says excitedly, whipping out her phone. She clicks and scrolls, and before Edgar knows it, he already regrets asking.

Green and purple rubber shoes with a very specific face on them.

"Spike Airs!" She says proudly. "Aren't they just cute?"

"Oh! Yeah." He says. "Totally." He smiles. It feels clumsily drawn by a three-year-old on his face.

"They're gonna make me look sharp. Hehe. Geddit?" Colette takes the screen away from his face. It hurts like a punch to the chest every time.

"Haha, yeah. They'd look good on you. Hope you enjoy them." Edgar says in his warmest voice. It's not her fault he's grown to hate the cactus.

Besides, he thinks with burning reluctance, they do fit her wacky style.