Sixteen - Lucky Charm

a/n: wooop. say hello to kise's pov again.

i apologize if kise's quite ooc, but for sure he's not always this energetic puppy, right? *wink wink*

i'm both happy and not with this chapter. lol. i'm gomen.

______

Kise Ryouta

Despite looking extremely bored, Yukicchi had her nose in a shoujo manga again.

I frantically looked at our captain, who was only watching us practice to death. His frown deepened once he realized that I was just standing in the middle, bouncing uneasily on my heels. I motioned to Yukicchi who was sitting on the bleachers with her big brother's bag beside her, her attention completely stolen by the manga. Keiichi-senpai, on the other hand, was mocking our coach about how Touo's coach was certainly more attractive than him.

She won't notice me if we just do boring drills, I wanted to whine to Kasamatsu-senpai.

Kasamatsu-senpai let out a sigh as he started jogging towards me. He must've been planning to give me something flashy! Something much more suited for an awesome ace! Something suited for Kise Ryouta! I beamed at him excitedly.

Instead, his lower leg was quickly going for my upper leg. I tried to avoid his kick with my agility, but that only infuriated him and his kick went faster and more painful. I was pushed away in recoil, my hand rubbing the painful part, as small tears fell from my eyes.

"Today's the final practice! Be more focused, dammit!" he scolded me with his fists clenched. A basketball was rolling his way, so he kicked it towards me like a football player and the ball went flying towards my--

"Gwaaah!!!" I exclaimed as I fell on the floor, my hand covering my groin. I curled and trembled in extreme pain on the floor, wanting to cry. "S-So meeeaaan!" The sight of Yukicchi peeking at me worriedly had me forcing myself to look stoic and manly to no avail. She just had to see me grimacing in pain!

"Ah, sorry about that...," Kasamatsu-senpai apologized as he stood in front of me, his hands on his hips. 

I managed to stand up a few seconds later with the help of Kasamatsu-senpai when the pain subsided. Wiping the sweat and tears off my face, I sent Yukicchi, who was fortunately watching us closely with a strange enthusiastic glimmer in her eyes, a sheepish grin. She responded with a shrug then motioned us to carry on before going back to her reading.

I looked at an unamused Kasamatsu-senpai, who had his arms crossed in front of his chest and one of his eyebrows raised. Chuckling lightly, I happily rushed to my other teammates.

***

"Remember your training. What are we going to do in the Winter Cup?"

"To pick up cute girls."

"Shut up, Moriyama."

I laughed. Our stubby coach glared at Moriyama-senpai then at me. Kasamatsu-senpai hit my back to stop me from laughing.

"What are we going to do?" Coach gave Moriyama-senpai a look to keep him from making a remark about girls before turning to us to anticipate our immediate reply.

"To win!" all of us answered in unison.

"Right. To win, you need individual strength and conditioning. Therefore, tomorrow, the day before your first match, is a day for relaxation." Everyone was quiet; there were no enthusiastic cheers, no fired-up comments. I couldn't stand the tension even if I understood why everyone was acting in such a way! "I forbid everyone to do any sort of practice."

My jaw dropped in disappointment. I was planning to practice Perfect Copy tomorrow. Though I knew how great and awesome I am, I couldn't help but feel worried. It's them I'd be facing! "Eeeh?! Not even a single game?!" I blurted out thoughtlessly then immediately covered my mouth when I was sent incredulous stares.

"Yes. Not a single game." Our coach shook his head, his narrowed eyes looking at me sharply. "Remember that you're the ace. You cannot afford to get into any accident," he explained in all seriousness, and I felt bad for even considering sneaking a game or two tomorrow.

"Okay...," I muttered glumly.

I suddenly felt someone painfully patting my back to maybe reassure me. I looked at its owner, Keiichi-senpai. He grinned at me wistfully, his face showing how he's been in this position. "Don't worry, Ryouta! It did me really well back then!" He crossed his arms then leaned back, his purple eyes straying to Kasamatsu-senpai. "Isn't that right, Yukio?"

The current captain nodded slowly, his gaze somewhere else, as his figure suddenly slumped and his head suddenly bowed. His eyebrows creased lightly as his lips narrowed into a thin line. 

Keiichi-senpai obviously noticed this, so he skipped towards Kasamatsu-senpai and gave him a painful patting on the back. "Stop dwelling about that incident! The next stage was simply not meant for us back then, and we have more chances in college, y'know!"

Kasamatsu-senpai nodded, seemingly not entirely convinced, but he said no more.

The coach cleared his throat. "Anyway, that's it for today. We'll save the pep talk on the day of the match. Have a nice rest, everyone."

"Yes, sir!"

The team immediately dispersed to their own bags, some fellow freshmen finishing up the cleaning they had to stop when everyone was called by the coach. I finished up mine even before we were called for that talk, even if I was scolded by Kasamatsu-senpai. I looked around, and saw Yukicchi placing her manga into her bag. Thank goodness for Keiichi-senpai and Yukicchi walking home with him, or else I won't have time with her two days before the match! 

My feet automatically ran towards her as she smoothed out her slightly disheveled but still adorable silver tresses. I was about to call out to her when a jersey-wearing person blocked my view. I halted in my steps. Moriyama-senpai sat next to her with a dreamy smile on his face. She smiled back uneasily. He scooted closer. She moved a little away.

What's senpai doing with Yukicchi?!

They were talking. Just talking. Yukicchi laughed. Moriyama-senpai shrugged. 

Wh-Wh-Whaaat--?

My eyebrows quickly knit together and my jaw dropped. Was there something between them? I didn't like seeing them together. Moriyama-senpai has a lot of girls to target! Why Yukicchi?! Before I realized what I was doing, I hastily went to their side then plopped myself on her other side, just beside her brother's bag. I managed a cheerful grin to hide my vexation. 

"Senpai!" My cheery voice called their attention. "Keiichi-senpai wants to have a talk with you, too!"

The two of them looked towards our white-haired senior who was currently playfully poking Kasamatsu-senpai's sides, a wide carefree grin present on his face. The look on Kasamatsu-senpai's face was of pure annoyance, as their status was the only thing keeping him from hitting the college freshman's head.

"Hm. I see. He might want to ask me some tips to score a date with those college girls," said Moriyama-senpai smoothly, a small smile gracing his lips. He looked at Yukicchi, who tilted her head with a good-natured smile, then gently patted her head. H-How dare he?! "'Til next time, Mashiro-chan."

"Ah, yes, senpai!" She replied in a friendly way, making my mood drop a little more. Why was she so kind towards him? Was there something between them?! I wanted to push Moriyama-senpai away and make him leave Yukicchi and I alone.

Finally, Moriyama-senpai stood up and slowly strode towards the childish alumnus and the uptight captain. However, before doing so, he sent me a wave, and his almond-shaped eyes had a mischievous glint in them as a small, knowing smirk tugged at his lips.

What was that about?

"Good work today, Ryouta-kun," Yukicchi greeted me with a tired smile. 

I nodded and thanked her enthusiastically, then was reminded that Yukicchi was currently the only girl in the court. I scanned the court. No one had their attention on us. I got up from my seat then grabbed hold of her arms, staring into her eyes with much conviction. "Please come with me, Yukicchi!" I requested. She tilted her head in confusion but soon complied. She stood up from her seat and I swiftly and discreetly towed her out of large court through the back door. We ended up in an isolated area of the school premises, lined by a few trees and carpeted by a thin layer of grass as the setting sun dyed them in an orange-ish hue.

"Uwaaah~" She looked around, her eyes twinkling with excitement. "I didn't know it's like this back here!" She took a few steps further away from me then peeked from the baskeball court's corner. "And the school's exit is just there!"

I chuckled proudly, glad that she was interested in this view. It's just a few seconds later did I realize that I was alone with Yukicchi. Alone with the girl I like. A marching band started playing their loud piece in my chest as random intimate thoughts came in my mind. I couldn't stand still--

I'M ALONE WITH YUKICCHI!

"Yukicchi," I called.

She faced me. Her eyes widened in surprise then in worry as she came my side then grabbed hold of my arms. She leaned closer to me, her narrowed scrutinizing eyes trying to observe my face. The bass drum's beating came louder. "Are you okay?! Your face is red, Ryouta-kun! We can't have that before the Winter Cup!" Her smaller hands took one of my arms and began pulling me back inside, but I didn't want to. 

"Yukicchi, wait." 

She stopped then turned to me, her eyebrows knit in concern. I stared at her as my hand took one of her hands and slowly led her closer to me once again. Though she followed reluctantly, I was glad she wasn't anywhere defiant at the moment. One our proximity was small enough, I bent down then pulled her into my arms and placed my head atop of hers.

She stiffened in shock, then squirmed a little. I tightened my embrace. "A-Ah, Ryouta-kun, w-what--"

"Can we please stay like this?" I pleaded as I buried my heated face in her hair. It smelled like strawberries.

She nodded slowly, though she wouldn't relax in my grasp. "But what is this for...?" she asked in a hushed tone.

I smiled contentedly as I took another whiff of her scent, revelling in her warmth and her small frame in my arms. Even if she wouldn't look at me at the moment, even if she wouldn't do anything close to realizing my feelings, it's fine. I could make do with moments like this.

"It's my lucky charm," I told her.

It's fine.

Because in the future, she'll definitely like me back.