Powdered Milk

April woke with a startle. "Just a dream April, just a dream." But it all felt so real. She rubbed her forehead and yawned. "I could get something to drink," she thought to herself. April stepped outside of her capsule and crept into the hallway. After 3 years she still wasn't used to the icy blue walls and the darkness of the spaceship. "Where are you milk... Ah-ha!" She took the milk powder and poured water into the baggie. "This will never beat cow's milk" she muttered taking a long sip. "April what are you doing? It's 4 in the morning!" a voice whispered behind her. She turned around spilling milk all over her pyjamas.

"What the heck Willa?"

"Sorry" Willa muttered.

"It's fine, just had a bad dream so I'm getting milk"

"You should tell Sarah, she'll help you! You've been having them for the past month, don't you think you should tell her?"

"Nah"

April drank her milk in silence while Willa stood around awkwardly. "I mean you should probably get ready, no point in going back to bed," Willa suggested.

"Ok"

April returned to her capsule and pulled out her purple space suit from the closet. It smelled like lavender. Putting on her suit she caught herself looking in the mirror. She had changed so much over the past years. At first, it was puberty that hit her then she dyed her hair into a galaxy colour to impress Kai. She looked so mature. "I guess that's what space does to you," she muttered. After getting ready she walked to the dining room for breakfast. Scarlet and Arjan were already arguing when April came in. "NO, YOU DROPPED IT SO YOU'RE VACUUMING IT UP!" Scarlet yelled in Arjan's face. "Jeez calm down Scarlet! It's just some orange juice. "

"Silence! We are arriving on Earth 2.0 in 2 days and if this is how we're going to act I will only take April, Kai and Willa" Sarah said in a calm voice.

"Arjan go get the vacuum and Scarlet please control your temper"

They both grumbled and got up.

April awkwardly sat down between Arjan and Scarlet seats.

"Nice for you to join us April". Sarah said passing a space bar to her.

"Where's Kai?" April asked

"Oooh, are you worried about your boyfriend " Arjan teased

April punched Arjan on the arm.

"Kai is in the simulator training but I suggest to not bother him. You know how he is..."

April ate her space bar in silence.

"So are we going to talk about how we are arriving in 2 days!! I've been waiting for this moment for 3 years!"

No one talked. "Fine," Willa said pushing her chair in. "I'll go read my book for the one-hundredth time this month"

April got up and went looking for Kai. She had a huge crush on him ever since they got on the N.O.V.A. They were close but April was pretty sure Kai didn't like her. She wandered around and found the space simulator. "Helloo, Kai?" her voice echoed through the room. I room was musty and smelled like fermented beans. It made sense since that's where they kept the beans and seeds to bring to Earth 2.0. She stopped for a minute and could hear the space simulator buzz. April walked into simulator 3 and saw Kai with his pilot goggles on. Since they were arriving in two days and Kai was the pilot he was training every second of every day trying to perfect the arrival. Kai got out of the simulator and smiled and April.

"Sup Apes," he said tiredly.

"Have you been training all night?!".

"Maybe," Kai said trying to hold in a yawn.

"Are you insane? Lack of sleep is going to make you unfocused and you could get the arrival sequence wrong! Kai, you're going to bed straight away!" she grabbed his arm and pulled him into his capsule.

"Thanks, April, I appreciate it..." he said falling asleep on her shoulder.

She gently placed Kai down on his bed and left his capsule.