Chapter 2: Teacher Problems

Chapter 2:

As we found our way to the office, I asked Ying another question.

"If you were taught by the monks, why are you in the exchange program?"

"Well," he said, chuckling. "I was never reported as an orphan, so I technically wasn't allowed at the temple because there wasn't a official consent agreement. So, I was preforming at a corporate arrangement and one of the guys were interested in me so he looked into me. A month ago, I was taken into government custody and put into the Beijing Institute to study, which was way too easy for me. My agent though it would be a good idea for me to come here for the tournament."

I nodded as I remembered the tournament at the end of the week.

We picked up his test results and I read them, yet again shocked at what I saw.

Since this was a prestigious school, the 250 page placement tests included questions from middle school to PHD level questions. On Ying's sheet, it had said he aced the test, the ACTs and the SATs.

"Well," I said, shaking my head in disbelief. "You are probably now a certified genius. You aced all the tests."

He didn't react at all, so I just handed him his schedule.

"What do you have?"

He quickly scanned over the pages.

"I have 5 periods of Kung Fu, which I requested and a couple of other unimportant periods"

"Oh. Anyway, I think I should go to class now. You think you can find your way?"

He nodded.

We said our goodbyes and left.

I headed towards my locker first to pick up my textbooks for my next class, Mandarin Chinese, and was excited for two reasons. First was that Jarred was in the class and I finally had some free time with him, and second, I could try to learn some better Chinese to try to impress Ying. For some reason, I wanted to surprise him with something.

When I entered, I picked my usual seat in the middle of the classroom. Jarred slid into the seat next to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"I missed you" he said, his brown eyes looking directly at mine.

I ruffled his long brown hair as I returned his kiss with a more passionate one.

"I missed you too"

The bell rang and interrupted our make out session and we all sat up in our seats, waiting for our teacher to take roll call.

I looked around. Where was the teacher? The door opened and the principal walked in. I swallowed. The principal only came to classes if something serious was going on. He started talking, "Students, you have an excellent opportunity today. Your previous teacher is not available so a compromise has been made"

We were all stock still, wondering what he had in store for us.

"Your new teacher has come all the way from china, so you will get an authentically new perspective."

He motioned at the door, "Ying, will you please come in?"

I was confused, Ying?

"This is your new teacher," the principal continued. His phone rang and he excused himself, bidding us a good class.

The class surrounded me, bombarding me with questions and comments.

"Who is he?"

"Does he even speak English?"