Chapter 3: Chosen

Chapter 3:

When I got home, I was met with a horrible sight. My parents were screaming at each other.

"You lying cheating bitch!" My mom screamed.

"Why were you following me?" My father yelled.

"Because I had a feeling your four o'clock appointment was a girl. I guess I was wrong, she's a whore!" I could not believe what I was hearing. My dad had cheated on my mom? This couldn't have happened. I snuck past them upstairs into my room, and was glad that I did because less than a minute after I closed my door, I heard glass breaking.

My mom usually spent all her time at work, but my dad was a stay home CEO. He had too much free time and I guess that's what happens. My thoughts drifted as I realized I was in the same position. I've always had a crush on Jarred, but lately, he's been very possessive. He turned out to be something I hadn't expected. Maybe I should break up with him?

I logged onto Facebook to check in with my friend, Mei, who was still on vacation.

Me: Hey, how's it going? Things are impossibly chaotic! Can't wait till you're back next week.

Mei: Not much is happening. What's been up with you?

Me: Well, three problems, 1) My parents have been fighting, apparently my dad has been cheating on my mom. 2) Jarred has been a jerk lately, should I dump him? And 3) the exchange student is really cute and we kissed, but I think he might be hesitant on dating me.

Mei: I am so sorry for the whole parent situation, hope I works out. Also, if you really like the guy, just dump Jarred and ask the new guy out.

Me: Thanks. I'll just ask him out and if he says yes, I'll dump Jarred. Also, you're Chinese and have been to china for martial arts right? What is their customs for dating?

Mei: Don't worry, in most places, dating is the same as ours. Anyway, gotta go, talk to you tomorrow!

I logged off and sat in my bed. The background screaming had just finished and ended with my dad driving away in his car for the night. Even though that was the most important decision, I could not help plan for what I was going to do for Ying.

_ _ _ _ _

I woke up and showered, still tired from my late night planning. After getting dressed and heading downstairs, I was surprised to see my parents sitting around the table. Two other people were here, a blonde woman that looked really cute and another man. They were in pairs, my father and the woman and my mother with the man. They sat opposite of each other and glared at each other.

I cleared my throat, "hello parents and random strangers"

I went to grab some coffee.

My mother started talking when I got back.

"Kate, as you are aware of the little incident last night, we wanted to make a couple things clear"

I scoffed, "LITTLE incident? LITTLE? Right mom, and the titanic only hit a LITTLE piece of ice."

"Okay honey, we were more than a little upset. I turns out, your father was sleeping with another woman, that slut on the other side of the table"

My dad rose in anger and so did the blonde.

"I slept with Rebecca because we fell in love. Your mother on the other hand, did more than just work at the office" he sneered. That explained the other man.

The voices got louder and louder, each claiming they were innocent and it was perfectly normal because it was the other person's fault.

When I couldn't stand the screaming any more, I shouted, "Stop it!" The room became quiet I took a deep breath. "I really don't care about what's going on and I have to go. Good bye and happy arguing."