Humble Beginnings

You were part of the Furious Six. Tigress, Viper, Crane, Mantis, Monkey, and you. You were a young Gazelle girl who was taken in by Shifu after Tigress found you while training. After years of training with the other five under Shifu, you were ready, and was excited for Master Oogway to choose the Dragon Warrior. But then Po came along. You weren't exactly surprised, for you looked up to Master Oogway and his teachings, so you were quite accepting of Po and his new fate, unlike everyone else. But somehow, Po was able to rub onto everyone with his noodles and humor. Everyone, except Tigress. Besides from her, everyone, including you, was laughing at Po's impression of Master Shifu. You laughed so hard, that you almost spit out the noodles in your mouth. While you were laughing, everyone else suddenly stopped. 

"C'mon, (Y/N)'s laughing! Ears! Don't you get it?" You heard Po say. You finally stopped laughing and fear instilled in you. Shifu was right behind Po, glaring at all of you. You gulped. 

"It's Shifu!" Monkey whispered to Po. Po didn't seem to take the hint. 

"Of course it's Shifu! Whaddaya think I'm doin'?" He asked. 

Monkey then pointed behind him and Po turned.

"OH! Master Shifu!" He said, putting the bowls he was using as ears on his chest and slurping the remainder of the noodle mustache. As giggles started to be heard, Master Shifu became enraged. 

"You think this is funny?! Tai Lung has escaped from prison, and you're acting like children!" Shifu yelled.

"What?" Po muttered. Shifu turned to him.

"He is coming for the Dragon Scroll, and you're the only one who can stop him!" Shifu told him. Po for a moment was filled with fear as the bowls popped off of his chest. There was a moment of silence. 

"Tai Lung? Shifu's first student? The one who tore the village to bits just to get the Dragon Scroll? HIM???" You thought as everyone stared in shock. A lump started to form in your throat, as you were filled with fear. Not just for Po, but for yourself and your colleagues. 

Po then laughed nervously.

"And here I am saying you've got no sense of humor!" Po laughed again, hoping Shifu would laugh as well, but Shifu glared at Po. 

"Wait, you're serious?! And I have to-??" Po asked, panicking. "Master Oogway will stop him! He's done it before, he can do it again!" Po said rather confidently. 

"Oogway cannot!" Shifu yelled. He then looked at the staff he was holding. The staff of his dearest friend. "Not anymore..."

Everyone at the table gasped. Tears started to form in your eyes. You immediately stood.

"You don't mean...?" You said, trembling. Oogway was one of the closest people to you. 

"I wish it wasn't this way either, but... He is gone." Shifu said, regretfully. Your fists tightened in sadness. You didn't want to believe it.

"Our only hope... is the Dragon Warrior." Shifu continued. 

"The Panda?!" Tigress asked.

"Yes, the Panda!"

"Master, please! Let us stop Tai Lung, this is what you've trained us for!" Tigress yelled. 

"No! It is not your destiny to defeat Tai Lung! It is his!" Shifu yelled back, turning to Po. Or, to where Po was. He then was confused. "Where'd he go?" He asked. You all then heard Po screaming in terror outside as you all heard his footsteps. Shifu sighed, then quickly ran after him. 

You harshly pushed away your chair and ran off back to your chambers, the other five watching you. The tears started to flow as you finally reached your room and sat, silently weeping. You were a whole bundle of emotions. Sad, angry, fearful, and misguided. You wished you could have seen him go. You wished he could have given you some final words of wisdom and encouragement. But you supposed it was only fitting Shifu would be the last to see him again. 

"(Y/N)?" You heard a familiar female voice softly call just beyond the door. 

"Yes?" You softly answered, making sure your voice wouldn't crack. The door slowly opened to see the five of your friends standing there. Mantis swiftly went over to you and landed on your shoulder. 

"We wanted to see if you're alright. We know how much Master Oogway meant to you." He said.

"We all didn't see it coming. He may be gone, but he'll still be in here for as long as we live." Viper chimed in, her tail pointing at your chest. 

Mantis looked up at your face and wiped one of your tears off your face. 

"We miss him as much as you do. But he's taught us a lot. As long as we remember his teachings and have hope, we'll be able to defeat Tai Lung together." Monkey said. You sniffed and looked up at them.

"Thank you." You said. You all then bowed in silence for Master Oogway.

As everyone started to get ready for bed, you still couldn't get the topic off your mind. You got up and decided to go up to the Peach Tree, where Master Oogway would usually be.

It was quiet and dark, the only light shining upon you being the moonlight. You sat and leaned against the Peach Tree, looking up at the night sky as the wind slowly blew. It was like time had stopped. You and Master Oogway used to harmonize here, silently doing yoga and enjoying each others company. Where Shifu was a strict father figure, Oogway was your loving and caring teacher. He truly saw greatness in you. You then heard quiet footsteps. You looked up and saw Shifu approaching the hill with a lantern. When he saw you, he sighed. 

"I thought you'd be up here, (Y/N)." Shifu muttered. You nodded, looking back at the sky. Shifu picked up a Peach from the ground and sat next to you. 

"We all have our destinies. We will never fulfill them unless we move on." Shifu said simply, taking a bite out of the Peach. You sighed. 

"But he guided us for so long. We can't just move on from that, Master. I'm terrified that we will not be able to defeat Tai Lung without his wisdom. It feels like without him, we have no hope." You said as you hung your head.

"I understand. I'm afraid too. But he I must... believe in the Panda. But I don't know how. I can't see anything in that bumbling buffoon. He's clumsy, he doesn't know anything about Kung Fu, he-"

"Master." You interrupted. He looked at you, surprise in his eyes.

"He told you this for a reason. If you have to believe in the Panda, you must. He is the Dragon Warrior now. Surely, if Master Oogway believes in him and sees potential hidden away somewhere, maybe it's your job to find it. To help it and to let it grow." You said. Shifu, again, was surprised. He then looked down and sighed. 

"Nevermind. Talking to you about it would just make you worry." Shifu said, starting to stand up again. 

"Or is it because I remind you of Master Oogway?" You shot back, hoping he would be able to take the joke. You heard him chuckle.

"He's taught you well, I can assure that." Shifu said. You were a bit surprised he didn't get mad, but with Master Oogway leaving, it must have given him some time to reflect. You giggled.

"But in all seriousness Master, please just give him a chance. Maybe he'll even surprise you." You said.

"We'll see." He replied simply. He then walked back down the path he came. You looked back up at the sky, the moon still shining upon you. It was getting late, but you decided to go for a walk. You loved feeling the wind in your hair and walking in the moonlight. But usually, you would stop walking around when you got to the bridge. When you got to the bridge, you were about to head back, when suddenly, you felt something. An urge. An urge to cross that bridge. To go on an adventure and explore. You didn't want to leave, but at the same time, the urge was great. And so, you took one step onto that bridge and took a deep breathe, not looking back.