Chapter 23: Alexia

Chapter 23: Alexia

After my time floating in the wind wallowing in my emotions, I decided that I couldn't just sit and let it keep happening. My best friend is dead, and no one else deserves to feel this loss. Lissa doesn't deserve the satisfaction of winning.

Daren and Hunter chase after me as I march towards Mr. Cloak's office. I push open the door and walk-in. Mr. Cloak is sitting at the desk with his head in his hands.

He looks up in shock, and it's clear to see he's been crying. He wipes his eyes and tries to compose himself. "Miss. Alexia, what can I do for you?" he asks, and I choose to ignore the situation I've walked in on and continue on with my plan.

"We need to hold a meeting."

"Now?"

"Right now."

"Are you sure you don't want to wait a day?" he asks.

"No. It needs to happen today. Tomorrow there might be another attack. We figure this out tonight and put it into action as soon as we have a plan," I say.

He nods at my conviction. "Who do you want to be there?"

I give him a list, and he sends out the invites. Then we all head through the halls to the major legend meeting room. After a few minutes, people start filing in—many with tear streaks on their faces and others with stern and angry looks.

When everyone's here, I go to start, but Mr. Cloak holds up a hand to stop me. I step back as he steps up to the table. "Before Alexia starts with the planning, I think it's important that you know why the enemy legends were able to get onto the island as easily and quietly as they did."

We all wait while he gathers his thoughts. It seems to be wearing down on him, but eventually, he starts talking again. "One of our own betrayed us. Della Pietro chose to reach out to Lissa and helped her get through the portals to the island. We think she was the only one involved, but we don't know."

Mutterings start up around the room at the announcement. "That Bitch! The boy she was after was probably one of theirs," I scoff. The girl got my best friend murdered over what? A boy?

Before I can start fuming and do something stupid, Hunter puts a hand on my shoulder. "I think we'd like to go on the assumption that we're all on the same side, but we'll stay cautious. For now, we need to come with a plan on what to do since our current plan hasn't helped anything," Hunter says.

I nod my thanks and take over. "Any ideas?"

For just a second, I forget Auden's death and wait for him to come forward with a plan that will finally end this. When I realize it isn't going to happen and that it never will again, I have to gulp back tears and focus on the task at hand.

To my surprise, it's Daren that comes up to the table with a plan. "We go on the offensive," he announces, and the whispers start back up.

"We don't know where they are," someone in the group comments.

Daren nods. "You're right. Right now, we don't know where they are, but after the battle," he pauses as his eyes flood at the thought. After he puts himself back together, he continues, "after the battle, my powers had a breakthrough, and since then I've been able to see things. Things that are going to happen. I can find out where they are. I just need some time," he announces, looking around the room and making eye contact with everyone.

They all nod in agreement, and it throws me off how much of a leader my brother looks like. He's grown up, and for just a moment, it feels like I've lost him. He's no longer a kid whose only trouble is the boy he likes and school work. He's now witnessed his best friend die. He now has to help fight a war to stop it from happening again.