chapter 2

chapter 2 - PANIC

☀︎☀︎

"How could he fire you?!" Grace questioned. "You're literally the only one who ever actually does anything!"

"That's what I said," agreed Heather, who had been sulking behind Main Street Wireless for the last ten minutes after informing Grace and Bishop about her untimely layoff.

"I'm sorry, Heather," said Bishop, who had just arrived with Grace on their bikes. "You'll find something else."

The trio began to walk down the side street, with Grace and Bishop walking their bikes, on their way to find Natalie.

"I need $6,000 to enroll in the accounting course at Longhorn State," Heather concluded, still saddened that she was out of a job and couldn't earn more money for the time being.

"Jesus," Bishop stated. "$6,000?"

"Why do you think I've been working there since freshman year?"

Grace answered the girl's rhetorical question, saying, "I thought you liked, you know, unplugging things and plugging things back in..."

"This is serious," Heather warned, yet while jokingly waving the wildflowers Bishop had brought for her to cheer her up in front of Grace's face. "I was on track to have the money by orientation. I only need like $500 but..."

"$500?" Bishop asked. "I can spot you that."

"Yeah I could always loan you some money too," Grace added. Whereas $500 was somewhat of a big deal for Heather with her poor financial situation, it wasn't as bad for Bishop and Grace, especially as Grace was planning to win the large cash prize that came with winning Panic.

"I'm not taking your money," Heather said, leaving no room for argument. The girl was a bit proud, but her friends also knew that she could take care of herself and would always find a way. "I still have till August to make the final payment. I'll figure something out, right?"

☀︎☀︎

The three teens entered the pharmacy and greeted Natalie who was behind the cash register.

"Two minutes," Natalie said, letting the friends know that she needed some time to finish helping customers.

As the trio began to slowly walk towards the back of the store, Bishop asked Heather, "Hey, so, are you sure about this whole accounting thing?" Heather's best friends all knew that accounting was by far not her passion and that there were plenty of other things that she would rather pursue.

"Uh, yeah," Heather stated, very confident about going to college to become an account. "When I get my associate's, I can start clerking at double what my mom makes hourly."