Chapter 9

“I can only assume work has been tiresome,” Oliver said as he and I walked towards his wine cellar to enjoy a glass of Marchesi Antinori. I didn’t have to go to the club yet and I had already fallen in love with the second place that my agent has taken me through so I didn’t feel the need to carry on any further. I knew word would get to Mr Mancini and I would probably bring it up tonight when I see him. It was the weekend and Oliver was home, so I had my driver bring me to Oliver’s place. 

It felt like I hadn’t seen him in hundreds of years, when really it’s only been a week. I had thrown myself into his arms when he opened the door for me and he had chuckled, assuming that I had missed him- which is correct, but if anything I wanted him to save me. I told the soldiers to not follow me into the house, so they stood guard outside. 

I let out a low sigh, “you have no idea,” I said to him as I gripped his bicep, enjoying the smell of his scent which was his favourite wash- bourbon cedar, a “natural scent” as he always describes. We entered the lowest level of his home and were immediately greeted with the underground cellar filled with various wines, and his bar where all the best cocktails were made. He had the best entertainment space and whenever he hosted his friends over, we all left the place drunk and happy. 

I sat down at the bar, choosing to watch him pour us some wine before he came over towards me, handing me my glass and leaned against the bar. “talk to me,” he urged and this was usually the part where I would tell him everything. I would tell him about my first day, the employees, the boss, the interview, what I wore, what I said and major things that happened since I’ve been hired. But I couldn’t tell him the truth about where I worked. I couldn’t forget what Paisley told me about the previous PA and Secretary who got murdered for spilling about his work. I didn’t want to be tortured and then killed and I didn’t want anything bad to happen to Oliver. 

“My co-workers are a lot kinder than my previous ones,” I chose to say as I smiled at him and hoped that he would believe me. His brown eyes looked into my hazel ones with a gentleness and fondness that always took my breath away. I couldn’t help but let out a gentle smile which he would return, and then I would get ridiculously jealous at the dimples that would appear on both of his cheeks. 

Oliver had a honey toned complexion, and he was handsome with his perfect skin tone, flawless skin and pearly white teeth that he always flashed to stun anyone looking in his direction. He had a beard, one that was trimmed and shaped to suit his face and made him look more masculine and mature. I liked him a lot more with the beard than the stubble that he had been rocking for some time. His hair was short and neat, always clean shaven with the perfect cut done by his professional barber in Oliver’s private barbershop in his own home. Oliver’s eyebrows were not too thick and not too thin, just perfectly in the middle and they added more character to his face because he never really trimmed them. His lashes were short but straight and his lips were full and perfect. 

He stood at 5’11 but he always rounds it up to 6 feet and it makes me laugh. He’s still taller than me, and I don’t mind his height, if anything I think it’s the perfect height. Men who are 6 feet and taller are men that are not meant for me. “ah, that’s good to hear,” he told me as he drank from his wine glass. Oliver was never a wine type of person, he always liked beer but after he and I started dating and we started rubbing off on each other, he started drinking wine more than beer, and I started watching football because he liked it. 

“And I made a friend, her name’s Paisley and she’s the receptionist,” I started to speak, forgetting about not giving away too much. Oliver gave me a pleased expression, “she’s really lovely, and she’s really taken her time to help me understand how things work…” I trailed off thinking about how she was helping me understand the ins and outs of the mafia world that I signed up for.