Chapter Three

After a long day of exorcism (which was mostly just Chongyun running around and not being able to find any spirits), he returned to Liyue Harbor, to find Xingqiu waiting for him the second he opened his door. Wait, what? Xingqiu? Out of the bedroom? That was quite a rare sight. Chongyun had not even once been greeted by the sight of Xingqiu when he first came home.

    "Welcome back! It was really boring without you, my liege." Xingqiu slightly pouted as he attached himself to Chongyun and stuck there like glue. "Did you manage to find any spirits without me?"

    "All ran away." Chongyun happily munched on a popsicle. "Or maybe there weren't any in the first place. What'd you do today?"

    "Just the usual, liege Chongchong. Just read some books, admired the houses around here through the window. Don't worry, I made sure that no one saw me."

    "Are you sure? I don't want you to be taken away from me again. I almost thought I lost you when you were in that bed, coughing up blood."

    "Hahah, you did technically lose me. It's just that I came back."

    Chongyun watched, amused, Xingqiu talk about his books. He had read something that Chongyun had gotten from the Wanwen Bookhouse. It was a story about ancient Liyue's history, including Rex Lapis, the five Yakshas, the Adepti, and so on. The book described the old times of Liyue, before Rex Lapis. To Chongyun, it was an interesting story. To Xingqiu, it felt more of something that he had personally experienced.

    "Xingqiu, do you mind? I need to grab another popsicle—"

    Two knocks on the door.

    "Xingqiu! Quick! Hide!" Chongyun whisper-yelled as he tried to clean up any signs that would show that there was more than one person here. When Chongyun did one last survey of the room, Xingqiu had already disappeared into his bedroom.

    Opening the door carefully, Chongyun nervously greeted the visitor. "Hello, how may I help— Wait, Chen Fang?"

    "Hmph, shouldn't you be addressing me more formally? Children these days have no form of respect."

    No respect? And is stalking someone, in any way, respectful? Chongyun didn't get it. Nothing about knocking on someone's door, and demanding to come in was respectful. Especially if you're someone who only knew that person through work. "I'm sorry, but please get to the point. We're not at work, so there's no need for me to formally address you."

    "Alright. I heard noises. Who are you living with?"

    "Noises? Yes, that must've been me talking to my imaginary friend because I'm lonely. But how exactly did you hear the noises? As far as I know, the walls are solid, not air. You wouldn't have heard anything if you weren't next to the door. Is there some kind of problem?"

    "Didn't I warn you before that I would keep an eye on you? And wasn't 'Xingqiu' the name of your dead friend? You have his spirit, don't you? Hand it over! It must be the thing causing all this!"

    "Oh, so you even heard me whispering to Xingqiu. I named my imaginary friend after my old friend, isn't that allowed? Looks like you weren't just listening. You had to be literally pressing your ear to the door! Don't you have any manners?" Chongyun attempted to distract Chen Fang from Xingqiu, but just ended up sounding like he was making a bad excuse.

    "Stop dodging the question. He's in the bedroom, isn't he? I'll just check the bedroom. If he's not there, you can call the Millelith on me. Next time."

    "Next time? Who do you think you are?"

    "Look, I'll check it, and if there's nothing here, I'll let you go."

    Chongyun prayed to whatever Archon was willing to listen. Xingqiu, please get outside. Don't let him find you, please. Being unable to hold off the inspection, Chongyun guided him to his bedroom. "All right."

    Opening the door, Chongyun braced himself for the worst.

A/N:
Sorry! I was pretty busy studying for a test so here's a shorter chapter :>. At least better than not writing anything X3