THIRTEEN: THE DAY OF RECKONING

ILYA

"CLAURUS!" King Regis gasped as the body of his long-time friend was lodged onto the wall, his life leaving his body. Ilya panted as she stood between the King and the General, her eyes carefully watching their every move.

"You have the crystal" King Regis as Ilya fought to keep the General away, her sword swing in tandem with the General's "What more would you take from me?"

General Glauca shoved Ilya aside, stomping towards the King as he swung his sword down at the King. A shield was cast over the royal, a sword adding protection. Despite that, Glauca pierced through it and roughly grabbed the King by the wrist.

"No!" Ilya shouted as Glauca cleanly sliced off King Regis's finger, the Ring of the Lucii rolling away from the King. The King fought to stand upright as he gripped his wounded hand in pain. 

"The Ring of the Lucii" All eyes were on the blond as he picked up the ring, his blue eyes carefully examining the magical jewelry "I lost my mother, my country, my birth-right"

"Niflheim was the only life left to me, but all of that was for this" He continued as he lowered the ring down, turning his attention towards the bloodied face of King Regis "The ring belongs to me now"

General Glauce charged towards the man, his sword raised but before the man could fall at the General's blade, he collapsed. His groans turned into screams of pain as he held his burning arm. The ring fell from his finger, rolling back to the King.

Ilya dashed towards the General, clashing her sword with hers. They entered into another deadly dance, their swords pushed back one another, giving each other barely any time to recover. But thank the heavens that Ilya had the upper hand. Even if it was barely.

Ilya kept him cornered, away from the King as he made his escape. Hopefully, she could keep the General occupied enough that the King would make his way out of the city and to somewhere safe.

"Quickly, through here" King Regis blasted a powerful bolt of lightning towards the General, rendering him paralyzed. Ilya dashed towards the King, barely slipping through the elevator doors as they closed.

"This leads to a hidden passageway, follow it" King Regis said, his body leaning against the wall as Ilya stood hunched over. She caught her breath before she stood to her full height "Once you are away, make for Altissia"

Ilya pressed her lips into a thin line as she ripped a piece of her clothing. She carefully dressed the King's wound, tightly tying the cloth over his hand. Even after she finished dressing the King's wound, her fingers still fumbled over it.

"Find my son and Lunafreya, and keep them safe" King Regis continued, grasping her hands with his. Ilya hesitantly raised her eyes towards the King, seeing his eyes plead for her to comply "For the future of all"