Chapter Ten

"Why would you- what did you just-"

I can't even get a complete sentence out.... and he's just standing there... with a wicked smirk on his face.

"Oh... don't tell me that you thought just because we made tolerable small talk last night, that my plans for you had changed?.... and we couldn't have Elijah getting in the way of those plans now could we?"

How can he be so smug? I hate him. I've never truly hated someone before but I HATE HIM.

"Fuck. You, Klaus."

His eyebrows raise at my sudden outburst, and I honestly can't believe how brave and stupid I just was. Especially when the person I'm talking to is a ticking time bomb.

His look of surprise diminishes.

"Maybe one day love... if you're lucky. However if you keep that attitude up you'll find yourself back in our secret room. Do I make myself clear?"

I stare back at him. Part of me wishes he'd just snap and kill me. It takes him only a few steps for us to be standing toe to toe. He brings his hand up to face brushing back my hair.

"Do. I. Make myself clear? Elena."

The calmness in his voice sends chills down my spine. If I'm going to get out I have to be smart about this, and pissing Klaus off isn't exactly a way to get on his good side... assuming he has one.

"I... I understand."

I stutter. He steps away, dragging Elijah out of the room with him.

I've been pacing the room back and forth trying to figure out how I'm going to have a shot in hell to get out of here. Klaus has to have a weakness, something, anything I can use against him. I need to make him think I'm on his side. Maybe if I pretend to care about this feud with Marcel I can win some of his trust.

"Elena!"

Ughhh what does he want now. I make my way down the stone staircase into an open room with several windows. It's almost peaceful in here with all the sunlight streaming in. Klaus is standing behind a large canvas focused on whatever he's painting. It's weird how I get glimpses of him doing the most mundane things and he almost seems... not insane. Like he has a shred of humanity in him. Doubtful.

The empty blood bags hanging from an IV rack let me know why he called me down here

The empty blood bags hanging from an IV rack let me know why he called me down here. He looks up from his painting, acknowledging I'm here.

"Oh good. I'm sure you already know why I called you."

Smart ass. I grab the IV rack and make my way to the window that over looks the city. After finding a seat on the ledge I raise my arm sleeve and start searching for a vein. I've seen Klaus do this so many times I'm confident I can find it myself.