Sanctuary

As Kotoha stumbled through the snowy pine forest she knew that she had gotten lost. Not that she knew where she could go in the first place.

Hugging Inosuke tightly she tried to see if there was any sort of shelter that they could take in this blizzard. But there was none.

Kotoha felt her legs beginning to freeze and she began to lose hope.

"Inosuke. I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to protect you." She cried hugging him, her forehead on his as she collapsed into the snow.

So this is death?

She wondered.

It doesn't seem to bad. But.

I've failed Inosuke, I've failed at being his mother. I deserve to go to hell.

I, I'm sorry Inosuke.

She apologized for her lips wouldn't move to form words.

Two days later...

Kotoha woke up to a prodding feeling. When she opened her eyes she noticed that she was in a large, finely decorated room.

Is this the afterlife? She asked herself. Am I in hell? She wondered as she stared up at the intricate golden design on the walls.

"Inosuke?" Kotoha cried sitting up. Feeling his forehead she cried in relief. "You're not sick anymore! You'll be alright." The little boy smiled. "Mema!"

"Oh!" Kotoha exlaimed. "You said your first word! Inosuke you said your first ...." Kotoha cut herself off as she realized what he was trying to say. "Were you trying to say Mama?" She asked him.

The toddler put his thumb in his mouth which Kotoha took to be a yes. Crying in joy she peppered small kisses onto his cheeks.

"Hello." A cheery voice spoke. Kotoha who wasn't used to anyone speaking to her other than to hit her immediately flinched.

Turning out of the slits of her puffy eyes she saw a tall silhouette walking toward her. "Who, who are you?" She asked scrambling back trying to conceal Inosuke.

"There is no need for you to be frightened of me. Let me introduce myself, I am Doma, the leader of The Paradise Faith Cult. May I ask the lady's name." The man said bowing.

Kotoha was quite taken aback. No one had ever spoken to her like she mattered like she was valued. "I'm Kotoha. And this is my son Inosuke. How did we get here?" Kotoha asked in wonder.

"My people found you just a mile from our sanctuary, you were quite hurt. I wanted to wait until you woke up to heal your wounds since you were in quite a dangerous state. May I ask what happened?" Kotoha looked down.

Fingering the blanket she replied, "Me and Inosuke, we ran away from home. Inosuke's father would beat us for not being quiet, for not staying in our room. Inosuke was sick. Did you cure him?"

"Yes." Doma replied. "Do you want me to heal you as well?" Kotoha cringed. "Yes please."

As she closed her eyes she felt the man's hand hold hers in silence.

Unknown to her, when Doma held her hand, her wounds were immediately healed. But Doma didn't immediately tell her that he was done.

He found himself mesmerized by her gentle face. But he snapped out of it after a few seconds, saying. "There, you're better now." Kotoha opened her eyes.

Doma found himself staring into them, they were a warm emerald green.

"Thank you." She paused for a moment shocked by what she saw.

Doma had golden hair and rainbow colored eyes which was considered a very unique appearance. And he was very tall. Tall enough that even sitting in a chair lower than her bed he was at least half a head taler.

"Are you, are you a god?" Kotoha blurted out then remembering her manners she covered her mouth. "I'm sorry that was rude."

Doma laughed. "No, it's all right. I am not a god but many ask if I am." He replied humorously, smiling.

"Anyways, if you don't have a place to stay you can stay here for now." He said breaking the comfortable silence. "Really?" Kotoha gasped. "Thank you". Doma gave her a smile in return.

Looking at her thin frame he got up. "Since you've just woken up I'll go send some food for you and the little guy. Please rest well!"