Love

Doma POV

Going down to the town just after dusk I see the slide that Inosuke had described.  Inosuke squirms free from my arms and runs toward it.  Kotoha and I look at each other awkwardly as we both sit down on a bench observing Inosuke rapidly running around.

As Inosuke climbs to the top of the slides Kotoha turns to me.  "Doma, I'll go get some hot food for us.  Do you want anything?"  I shook my head, "No thank you, I'm not very hungry."  Nodding she walks off.

I keep an eye on Inosuke making sure that he won't disappear on me.  I watch as Inosuke goes behind the slides to climb back up but a minute passes and I don't see him slide down then I hear it.  A shout.  Getting up I hurry over as fast as I can.  I see an old woman who looked like she was in her 60s trying to pull Inosuke away.  

The little guy was struggling as hard as he could as the old woman raised her cane to hit his hand which was tightly wrapped around the slide's pole.  "Inosuke was screaming and crying and I could see from the redness on his other hand that he had already been hit before.  "What do you think you're doing?"  I growled.  

I grabbed the cane just before it was about to hit Inosuke.  Pushing the old lady away with one arm I wrapped my other around Inosuke lifting him up and putting him on top of the slides.  He sniffled tears still falling from his eyes.  "Are you alright?  How is your hand feeling."  I asked putting a hand on his shoulder.  Out of the corner of my eye I could see the old woman shaking with rage.  

"It, hurts so mu.." Inosuke was interrupted by the old woman yelling.  "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?  THATS MY GRANDSON!"  I looked at the old woman coldly.  As I was wondering if I should kill her, I heard frantic footsteps running toward us.  "Inosuke!"  Kotoha cried hugging him tightly.  Then looking at me she asked, "Doma, what happened?"  

"Come home with me."  The old woman said quietly.  "You're my daughter and that is my grandson."  Turning, Kotoha's eyes first widened with surprise then blazed with fury.  I had never seen her so angry.

"WHEN HAVE YOU EVER REGARDED ME AS YOUR DAUGHTER?  YOU ARE NOT EVEN MY BIRTH MOTHER!  AND YOU MARRIED ME OFF FOR MONEY.  NOW YOU HURT MY SON AND WANT ME TO COME WITH YOU?  IN YOUR DREAMS!"  Kotoha shrieked.  Hugging her I held her in place doing my best to calm her down.

"YOU ARE A CHEATER!  YOU RAN AWAY FROM HOME WITH MY GRANDSON AND YOU LEFT ME THERE WITHOUT ANY MONEY OR MEANS TO SUPPORT MYSELF.  THE LAWS OF THIS VILLAGE STATE THAT CHILDREN ARE THEIR PARENT'S PROPERTY!  BESIDES YOU EVEN FOUND A NEW MAN BARELY TWO YEARS AFTER YOUR HUSBAND'S DEATH!  YOU.."  She was cut off by Kotoha.

"YES I FOUND ANOTHER LIFE FOR MYSELF WITH SOMEONE I TRULY LOVE AND WHO LOVES ME AND TAKES CARE OF ME AND DOESN'T TREAT ME LIKE TRASH!"  Kotoha yelled back, then grabbing the collar of my yukata and pulling me down she kissed me on the lips.  I felt my face grow warm.  "STAY AWAY FROM US!"  Kotoha screamed one last time, then grabbing my hand and carrying Inosuke, we walked away.