Soon

Occasionally I wonder how my father and mother had fallen in love and lasted long enough to have three children. It is on days that I watch my father do the dumbest things while my mother, in dissimilarity, appeared to be a graceful woman enjoying her time in the kitchen and hardly paying attention to the escapades of her husband. Her husband who had a hand stuck in an empty peanut butter jar while trying to retrieve something Elijah had so easily put in there. The sounds of my family's chatter have become white noise as I simply sit and stare at the man that is my father, my gaze one of disappointment and marvel. Surely he had realized that his hand's too big for that jar. He had to have realized that and yet he thought it a brilliant idea to stuff his hand down the jar. I don't even know anymore. From the way Elijah was giggling at my father I take it he finds the situation funny, as he should. I almost wonder if he had planned this. The boy was just barely a year yet he displayed some pretty advanced intelligence. Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks so. Both he and his sister will be a year within a month, something that had me hoping I do not leave anytime soon.

Three months came by too quickly, time has sped up after my mother broke the news to me. It felt as of I blinked and I was- am - suddenly twelve and the family is again collected in my house.

"My hand's stuck" dad droops in defeat after his many failed attempts at getting his hand free of the plastic jar. He simply sat there before his children, one amused by his antics, the other distracted by one thing or another. Clover had better things to do than pay her father any attention. She doesn't even look at him when he calls his name, something she does often. It seems she has a skill for ignoring people, for dad isn't the only one she treats that way. At first, my mother had worried she had a hearing problem and after a quick trip to the doctor it was revealed that she's perfectly fine

She just doesn't give anyone her attention.

Why does she have an attitude at such a young age?

The question has an answer as my eyes automatically go to my mother almost accusingly. Of course she has an attitude, she's Rose's daughter.

"Hey Zen" Alissa materializes at my side, still as short as ever, but somehow older than me. It's hard for me to believe that this child is older than me but apparently is, having turned twelve just two months ago. I keep forgetting that she's two months older and she has taken it upon herself to remind me as of late.

"What?"

"You're twelve" she's grinning with these words as if she knew some secret that she's so happy to keep from me.

"Oh am I? I hadn't realized that today's my birthday, thank you so much for informing me"

"I try my best" she bows dramatically, exposing the back of her head and I whack her without hesitation and with no mercy. I would have loved to see her face hit the wooden floor, but she catches herself, only laughing while rubbing her head. "I should have seen that coming"

"Yes you should, but as always your feeble brain cannot even manage to think ahead"

"Ah yes, this feeble brain of mine, I apologize for not being as glorious as the girl who face planted the dirt after tripping over nothing"

Okay, that was wrong and she knew it. I did not trip over nothing, she had pranked me, she was the cause of my dumb blunder and she knew it.

"Would you two stop" the words are followed by a hand to my face, forcefully pushing me away from Alissa, creating a safe distance between us two. Coming to stand between us, Israel takes the time to pocket his GameBoy, folding his arm over his chest and then glancing at the both of us in silent scolding.

Scolding?

This ni-

This boy is scolding me?