The Announcement

"You guys barely have a week before school ends...and here you guys are still lagging. Exams are done still some of you haven't submitted your pending assignments.", the teacher said and slapped the book on his table.

It was the first class of the day. Rohan was sitting straight in his chair looking very fresh and attentive unlike his two friends on his both side who were half asleep. One of them Dave looked up at the sound of the book slapped by the teacher and then looked back at Rohan. Rohan shook his head saying it's alright, sir wasn't scolding him. Dave went back to his morning nap. The other one, Henry, stood up straight and said, "I am sorry, sir!" in a lazy but sincere voice. The whole class started whispering and giggling realising that Henry just woke up from his sleep.

"For what?", the teacher asked with a straight face.

Henry not knowing the context to which he apologized, looked at Rohan and mildly snoring Dave.

"Sit down, Henry.", Rohan whispered.

Henry said, "I...am...", "Just sit down.", Rohan interrupted him angrily. Henry sat down.

"How long will you help them like this, Rohan. Only a week and you will no more be with them, then what?", the teacher asked fixing his eyes at the last row of the benches.

Rohan couldn't answer. He looked down at his desk. Dave sat up and saw the sadness on his face through his half open eyes. The class was almost over but the tension in the classroom made it feel like never ending. The teacher shook his head and stood up from his chair.

"I don't think you guys should be allowed to prom. That will be the best punishment to make you guys realise your mistakes. No enjoyment just misery. Be grateful I am not your principal...anyways prom is on 14th. The notice will be up soon check it yourselves. Assignments should be in before 12th.", saying this the teacher left.

Abrupt silence in the class.

The bell rang. And this marked the official ending of the first class and the students began to feel ease.

"They should have assigned him in the last period. He just ruins the whole day." Dave said while standing up and stretching.

"What's the use now? School's about to end. Should've suggested this at the beginning of the year." Rohan said preparing for the next class.

"You alright bro?", Henry asked taking Rohan's face in his hands and staring at him.

"Aww...our dear Ro already misses us!", Dave said and gave Rohan a back hug.

The next teacher came in and witnessed this endearing scene of Rohan's face in Henry's palms and himself being in Dave's arms. She smiled at herself, laid her files on the table and said, "Graduation is not that easy and simple! It's the beginning of the end. How many assignments will I receive today?"

Three of them went back to how they were and started listening to the class. This lady was their favourite teacher!

---

During the lunch break there was a huge crowd in front of the notice board. Mike was still away from the board and his height too didn't help. He couldn't see anything. After a few tries he stepped back in vain and bumped into someone.

"Easy bruh!", Dave said and held Mike straight.

Mike freed himself from Dave's grasp, glanced behind him and moved away saying an inaudible "sorry". Dave nodded and kept looking at his back when Rohan and Henry caught up with him. Rohan looked the direction Dave's eyes were. The boy who just bumped into Dave was walking away shyly...his chubbyness was well balanced by his height, Rohan analysed in his mind. Henry slapped Dave's back while saying, "isn't that the boy who was in our group for the excursion last year?"

Dave nodded and said, "Yep...the one who was always quiet."

"If you guys are done, I am hungry.", Rohan said and pushed them along.

Mike entered the toilet, leaned on the wash basin and muttered to himself, ,"Why didn't I bump into Rohan!?" , and covered his face with his palms. It's been a year and he still couldn't confess his feelings for Rohan. So he had been wishing for a miracle to happen so that Rohan notices him. But nothing much happened. Only watching your crush doesn't really help and maybe Rohan didn't even remember him. He could get Rohan to notice him since girls, even though they loved Rohan as an ideal boyfriend material, wouldn't go near him as he was always with Dave and Henry on his both side like conjoined triplets. Rohan being a model student who is good in everything was always seen with the top delinquents of the school Dave and Henry. Mike looked up at the wash basin mirror and felt embarrassed again today considering how odd he would look beside Rohan. He was much chubbier but going to the gym helped a lot. He was about to kick the dustbin when he heard someone enter. He stretched his neck backwards and saw Rohan.

Wanting to take the chance Mike waited. Rohan came to the washbasin to find Mike standing there staring at his phone.

"Did you get to see the notice at all?", Rohan asked smiling at him.

"Huh-!", Mike said not expecting a question from him.

"I saw you were trying to see the notice board but couldn't reach it. That's why I am asking.", Rohan said while washing his hands.

"Um- I...no- I mean... um...I will...check it later", Mike's voice went low.

"Oh I see. Here, take this.", Rohan handed him a pamphlet saying, "you don't need to check anymore at the board.", and smiled at him.

"What about you?", Mike asked, his voice still low.

"I don't need it. I think I won't be coming. Also I don't have a date yet. It's a time waste.", Rohan said.

"What if someone wants to go to prom with you?", Mike said loudly all of a sudden, excitedly.

Rohan stepped back, surprised. "Who would want to go with me? Even if I come, Dave and Henry won't be there so I really have nothing to do." He said and smiled at himself.

"They won't be coming either?", Mike asked sounding happy.

Rohan, perplexed about the sudden change in his tone, gave a fake smile and said ," No, I guess. That's what they said. Why?"

Mike, realising that he had asked too much quickly said, "nothing nothing. I don't mean anything. Sorry!". Saying this he ran away in a flash.

Rohan stood there stupefied for a while until he heard the bell ringing and then he left.