Chapter 2

It started out as an innocent idea, but that idea soon turned deadly. They decided to build it as people transporting goods to other countries needed a quick and easy way to get in and out of the country. Soon people started stealing from the lorries and trucks that held valuable items. Then slowly, but surely, things became worse. More and more people, mostly teenagers, started hiding there, waiting to catch lorry drivers off guard. Then people started carrying weapons; and the weapons started killing people, and the dead bodies started scaring off the drivers transporting goods, and the people transporting goods didn’t go through the Tunnel, and then..

All the activities going on in there stopped. No one knew how, or why, it stopped.

It just did.

I was right in the entrance of the Tunnel when I realised that I hadn’t actually thought this through.

When Pete had asked me if I wanted to go to the Tunnel with him, I was a bit bewildered as nobody had ever been right inside there, so no one knew what it was like. And then, without thinking, I followed him as he made his way towards the Tunnel. Then, almost like magic, I found myself here.

Suddenly a chill ran up my spine. It was bright and sunny as I left the town to venture to the Tunnel, and now, suddenly it was dark and gloomy. As if nature was warning me about the Tunnel, telling us me to turn back, telling me to…

‘So are you going into the Tunnel or what?’ Pete suddenly interrupted my thoughts.

‘Well, might as well get it over and done with.’ I shrugged, ‘so who’s coming with me and who’s staying lookout, and when…’

‘N, n,n,n,no! We’re not going in, you are!!!!’

My face instantly paled, and as if that was a signal, Pete and Ricky shoved me, hard, into the Tunnel, and?

Shut the door?

‘Hmm. I didn’t realise Tunnels had doors.’ I found myself saying to myself.