Chapter 6

I awake to see a bright, white light. Everywhere is shiny and white. Yet it seems strangely dark, dull and gloomy.

Am I in heaven?

The sound of footsteps echoed around the silent, eerie room. A few moments later a silhouette appeared on the spotless white floor and then a body came into view. The body was completely covered in doctors’ wear: a surgical mask, gloves and a full body length lab coat. Anything a doctor wore, you name it, and he had it.

“Where am I?” I found myself asking somewhat hesitantly.

“In a hospital of course. Why do you think everywhere is white?” the doctor quickly dismissed evasively.

I resolved to myself that I wouldn’t stop questioning him until I had received my answer.

“Why am I here?” I questioned, “And where are my parents?” I continued.

“I am getting a hint that you do not believe I am a genuine doctor. Is that so?”

He didn’t wait for me to answer.

 “Well, I will answer your first question first. You are here as um, well I’ll put it in a way you will understand. Your brain stopped working.”

He registered the bewildered look on my face.

“You had a sort of ‘ticking time bomb’ in your brain, and unfortunately it decided to go off when you were in the Tunnel. You are very lucky your friends were there to help you when you fainted. If not, well to put it bluntly, you could have died.” He paused for a split second and a glimpse of guilt and regret flashed across his face. He quickly composed himself.

“Well enough of all the questions, it’s time for your medication.”

“B, b, b, but I’m still confused. How did my friends find me, they were outside the Tunnel. When are my parents coming? What are you going to do to....”

A single prick I feel.

A sinister smile I see.

Heat flowing through my veins.

Body burning……